Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by moomin
    The whole curriculum of this "school readiness" program is intended to be behavior modification. The "currency" issue is thorny, because communicating on the basis of meaningful "currency" with my DD raises the stakes and generates a anxiety related spiral that often results in total non-compliance.

BTDT, totally, my sympathies. We have sometimes had success with "low value currency"-- that is, something that's just barely worth working for, but doesn't feel life or death. ex. not working for video games, which DS feels strongly about, but working for the option to choose what's for dinner, which he doesn't think is a crisis if he doesn't manage it. This is hard to calibrate.

If the school is supposed to be doing behavior mod, it sounds like your DD is kind of out of their league? From your descriptions it sounds like they have given up and are letting her escape when she wants/needs to. I wonder if you could get another opinion (from a BCBA) about first steps to change that situation.

DeeDee

22B Offline
    It sounds like there's basically nothing wrong with your daughter. She's reacting badly to the environment(s) she's being put in. The environments are the problem.

Ouch.

Well, I can't say what we'd have done with DD here, because she was totally non-disruptive (almost shy/fearful-seeming?) with other authority figures at this age. Well-- until she got to know them well enough that they were in her inner circle. To wit, I have frequently joked that having DD "trust" you that way is probably best viewed with a somewhat Dante-esque perspective, and moomin's DD is a good example of why. Her style was just different-- less overtly disruptive, and more passive. (I've mentioned the nickname "Little Ghandi" though, yes?)

She's fine until you cross her agenda... which on average, in a novel environment, is pretty broad and flexible. When she has HER agenda, though, and someone crosses it or interferes with her ability to pursue it, watch out.

It's not really about autonomy. Not about control. Not about anxiety. Not about rewards, not about punishment, not even really about perfectionism, so far as we can tell. What is it about? Who knows. But behavior modification is a non-starter with her because she is SO cagey about just what her currency is. And it seems to change-- just when you think "AHA! I know what matters to you!" then she finds a way to supply it independent of the 'system' (and justifies it as a basic need, or something), or walks away from it emotionally to deprive us of the lever to modify other behavior.

Sounding familiar?

Sounds like learning is her currency, Moomin. Unfortunately, as you likely already know, promising that she will get a reward for compliance is something that you don't have a ton of control over a lot of the time, and when you're wrong, she loses trust in you (and judges the entire system to be corrupt/unfair).

We did this dance with DD for many years before we figured out that we were setting up an oppositional relationship with her that we didn't even control OUR end of-- that is, we'd promise "do your work and it will get better, you'll see-- new, shiny! Exciting! Next year..." but then it didn't. This lasted for about five years, but each one got increasingly worse, both in her anxiety, her perfectionism, and her escapist/avoidant/defiant behavior.

We had to step back and let her know that we are on HER side, and that we just want her to have tools to be happy in a variety of settings and under a variety of expectations.

I'm not sure that I have any advice for you here... but definitely don't promise what YOU can't deliver, even if you know/suspect that it would be a great currency for her. You personally, I mean. I've been down that road, and it goes nowhere good.

It's really all about unmet needs, when you get right down to it. Some kids do NOT respond well to environments that do not meet a primary need for themselves-- and some of those needs are quite unconventional/idiosyncratic in HG+ kids. A smaller subset of them are furtive about even digging into what those needs actually are. Again, I have one of these. She's afraid to let anything matter "too much" to her, because she cannot stand to "lose" if she plays the game, and even moreso if it feels unfair to her because she did what was required and STILL didn't get the proper reward/payment.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM