Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Absolutely true, that.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    What you normally can't get under a 504 is any kind of services that require staff time. Just accommodations. (These days this depends on where you are, and how RtI is being implemented; it's complicated.) I think one should use experts to figure out what's truly needed to make school workable first, and then see what kind of plan will suffice.

DeeDee

M
    M
    I should also point out that DD is, despite all the chaos that she engenders, incredibly happy. She has an almost comically high self-opinion that seems to persevere in the face of great frustration on the part of her teachers. Her particular brand of anxiety tends to immediately externalize, become opposition, escape, or (less frequently) a tantrum, and then burn itself out. Once it is over, it is over, and she blissfully moves on with her day... until the next incident.

What do her teachers say about this ? My kid had a very high self-esteem, even in the face of great frustration on the part of his teachers when he was in preschool. He would not escape, but he would pretty much ignore the teacher (or have an explanation of why he is doing what he is doing) and does what he wants (basically, not follow the process steps as outlined by his teacher, and would pretend play with the materials). His teachers kept saying he is not learning that his behavior is not conducive to learning. However, despite that, he learned a lot (started reading prior to age 4, could count to whatever number in the 100 thousands, could accurately tell you what any number was (like 234,768) etc. Now that he is older, I have asked him about it and he told me he disliked being told what to do and how to learn. He still does, to a certain extent, though he has tempered it down quite a bit.

U
    U
    When a kid can successfully manipulate adults, it creates anxiety. It's hard for a kid to have so much power.

Nodding my head sadly. I have not always done well in this regard. DD has seen all too well the way she can reduce me to frustration, anger, and, occasionally, tears. I know it scares her. But holy CRAP, she is one.powerful.little.being.

Something else to do during this pre K time is service. Get her to think about someone else's needs and see the positive effect she can have. Get her to think of a way to ease someone's suffering, or make life easier for someone. Even if it's to bring mom the hangers or take care of a pet.

Great idea. Service is very meaningful for my DD. She also is extremely connected to animals and nature. DD also responds well to responsibility, although it can be a tricky balancing act to find the *right* responsibilities. Unfortunately, she is not the kind of kid who gets chosen by teachers for special responsibilities due to her nonpleaser personality and unpredictable tendencies. Last year's teacher got it anyway and gave her special jobs, but this year...noooo.

ETA--regarding this:

I should also point out that DD is, despite all the chaos that she engenders, incredibly happy. She has an almost comically high self-opinion that seems to persevere in the face of great frustration on the part of her teachers. Her particular brand of anxiety tends to immediately externalize, become opposition, escape, or (less frequently) a tantrum, and then burn itself out. Once it is over, it is over, and she blissfully moves on with her day... until the next incident.

YMMV, but DD's self-esteem seemed fine, even a little inflated, at 5. At 9, it is low. I'm not sure what changed other than maturity and possibly just years of negative experience. frown Like your DD, she "blows over" quickly--it's the rest of us who are struggling to recover while she is often quite cheerful after the incident "burns out."

Last edited by ultramarina; 04/24/13 09:34 AM.
    If manipulation is a problem, I highly recommend the book "The Manipulative Child," which I think I've probably mentioned before. It's very eye-opening just in terms of being able to RECOGNIZE and face those situations in which our kids are deliberately (if pleasantly/passively) manipulative.

My DD is another Zen Master at manipulation. It's as natural to her as breathing, and we've done a lot of hard, hard work to make her more self-aware and give her other options for managing her need for control/autonomy, encouraging more direct/assertive communication, etc. Unfortunately, the world conspires to lead very bright girls down that path of becoming manipulative, because it's how they tend to get the best results with most situations; cheerful covert manipulation over assertive problem solving. It's part and parcel of what they learn as HG+ females, unfortunately. Nobody takes them seriously enough to listen to them, so they resort to other means.

What is scary is that they KNOW that they are just children in some ways-- so the ability to manipulate/coerce/persuade adults against those adults' natural inclinations is pretty frightening stuff. DD never respects an adult that she can manipulate-- this was a HUGE problem when she was much younger. Probably this peaked about age 6.

We worked at developing compassion alongside theory of mind, and emphasized that other human beings have the same rights to autonomy and control-- ergo, it's WRONG to use passive-aggressive methods, even if it's easy/possible.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    K
    How refreshingly self aware your DD is. What a gift.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by moomin
    After the waitress left the table DD turned to me and said, "Why did she say I was adorable? Can't she tell that I'm a bad girl?"

One of our most powerful motivations for helping DS with both his anxiety and his behavior issues was that by 2nd grade he had well internalized the idea that he was a bad person. He had some teachers who really made this a big problem. He was miserable.

Finding out the name for his neurological difference was extremely important for him-- the other available names (weird, bad, disruptive...) were really not good. Once he knew that it wasn't his fault that he was struggling, he was so relieved, and we could work together to make things better for him. Frank talk about challenges, including their names, is very important IMO.

I don't see this form of labeling a disability as pathologizing at all-- DS definitely sees it as being aware of a difference, and learning to not let the difference hold him back.

DeeDee

D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    What you want to teach your child is not to "behave", but to choose her behavior to match her needs....

Believe me, I had so many doubts when I was working on shaping my child at that age. But, it was well worth it to keep her spirit intact and help her shape her own behavior.

Agree. My DS10 is much happier now that he understands that offering the world expected or unexpected behavior has to be weighed carefully. He likes having a choice. I like his understanding the consequences of the choice and his ability to make the choice consciously, rather than because a particular response feels like his only option.

Agree that 5 is too young to have all this down pat if it doesn't come naturally; but 5 is not too young to start laying the groundwork for it and removing the obstacles.

(The expected/unexpected language is from Michelle Garcia Winner's Social Thinking curriculum-- we never did it formally but I found some of it useful in parenting a kid who does unexpected things.)

DeeDee

U
    U
    Forgive me, because I think you've addressed this already, but is this your daughter's first preschool environment? I seem to remember there was another? Has she ever been in an adult-led environment that worked for her? I was thinking about your DD and mine--my DD was seen as a major problem at preschool till she moved up to the 4s and 5s class where a different, better teacher had her. It was night and day.

U
    U
    I also wonder if they have tried any behavior modification systems with her. What's her currency? Does that sort of thing work with her at all?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM