Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #153155 04/11/13 08:32 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    So we are asking for DS6 to go from 1st to 3rd grade math now. DS was given 2nd grade assessment and 3rd grade assessment. He did well on the 3rd grade, not the 2nd grade. The school wants to send him to 2nd grade, not 3rd grade math now. Any suggestions on how to get them to understand how counterproductive this is?

DS has been tested, is PG. He has scored within the average range on the MAP test for a 4th grader. I have shared the results of all tests with the school and thought that they understood. Clearly they don't. Help!

eastcoast #153163 04/11/13 09:08 AM
    D
    D
    Maybe they're confused about his abilities because he didn't do well on the 2nd grade assessment. Do you know why he would have done poorly on that assessment, but well on the 3rd grade assessment? (maybe was there a subject on the 2nd grade test he hadn't seen yet, but would be able to learn quickly??)

Did the testing for giftedness have a math component that you could also use to support your point?

Sorry you're having trouble with this.

eastcoast #153165 04/11/13 09:22 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Yes the second grade stuff is stuff he hasn't seen. Simple stuff that he will learn when someone shows it to him. He hit the ceiling on the spatial parts of his IQ test...so it is evident.

eastcoast #153166 04/11/13 09:23 AM
    M
    M
    my guess is they don't understand that a PG kid can fill in the gaps in very little time and think it is necessary for him to go through the 2nd grade to learn the bits and pieces he may not know?

eastcoast #153169 04/11/13 09:36 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    I am sure that's what it is. I did my little presentation of PG gifted children at our meeting a few weeks ago. They said that they understood...that there may be gaps and he will fill them. But it's like-poof- they forgot our meeting! It is incredibly frustrating!

eastcoast #153171 04/11/13 09:44 AM
    Z
    Z
    Teacher: Ready to learn division?
    PG Kid: Yep
    Teacher: OK, division is reverse multiplication.
    PG Kid: Ah, then fractions are incomplete division. Cool.

(2 semesters of math compressed into 12 seconds)

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Ah, then fractions are incomplete division. Cool.

hee - we just had this exact conversation! with the final kicker...

Kid: WHY would you leave them like that when you can just convert to decimal and be done with it?
    Me: have a think on that.
    Kid: oh, i guess some decimals are really long. this would be faster to write.

literally every day i am more and more grateful to have found all of you...

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    eastcoast #153174 04/11/13 10:19 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Doubtful, I feel the same way! My son can solve multiple equations with 2 variables in an instant, but because he doesn't know how to draw out an array to match a number story (and solved the darn problem in his head and didn't show work), they would like to hold him back. I do like his school, but I don't like how they don't get it!

eastcoast #153175 04/11/13 10:46 AM
    K
    K
    I would definitely advocate for an accelerated course in the 2nd grade stuff and then moving on. We have had similar problems with teachers either not understanding how he learns or focusing on him proving HOW he knows what he knows. My son is not PG, but MG/HG (still some confusion about that), but his math-related ability and achievement scores are much higher than his verbal. This year he skipped from 2nd to third and is excelling in the math at the 3rd grade level (even though he was only in 2nd grade math for two months and therefore missed most of it), which of course is too easy for him. His achievement tests placed him at an average of 7th grade, 9th month for what he already knows. He has a lot of trouble with "show your work" or "explain how you figured this out" questions. He just knows. For example, he had homework this week which consisted of taking square tiles and experimenting with them to create shapes with certain perimeters. He was supposed to draw the final shape and explain how he came up with one with a perimeter of 10, using 4 square tiles. Well, he didn't use the tiles. He literally read the problem, sat down on the floor, and immediately drew a shape which encompassed four squares and had a perimeter of 10. What I don't like is that they have gotten on his case about explaining his thought process, and he really CAN'T sometimes, so he lied on his homework. He said he experimented to see how to make the shape, which is patently false. Ugh. Going to have a talk with the teacher to see if this can be sorted out. I don't want my kid lying about anything just because adults don't understand his abilities.

eastcoast #153176 04/11/13 10:52 AM
    D
    D
    the lock-step stuff is so hard on these kids - what they "can't do" is so often simply what they haven't met yet.

while i get that dealing with a kid with gaps in their skill set seems like so much work for a teacher, it kills me that they can't see past the wrongheaded notion that kids only learn in school, and can only absorb material in one specific order at a proscribed pace - as arbitrarily dictated by the school district.

i mean, what on earth do they do with kids who move to their territory mid-year? do they not bother accommodating their gaps?

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM