Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    ...my kids gluing themselves to my table... Not literally of course!

What do you mean, "of course"? grin

Last edited by Cathy A; 05/03/08 10:06 AM.
    wink

I had this mental image of my two kids at the table, arms and legs waving helplessly...

It's close, but not quite true. They're mostly just trying to ruin my good kitchen table!

Anyway, carry on.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    ... sit down and write out what your goals, resources and alternatives are, and where your boundaries are.

Boundaries are very important. It's good to have them already decided so that in the heat of the moment you don't make threats that you don't want to carry out. Think about your must-haves and also time limits. Advocacy takes time and the schools use that to their advantage frown

Originally Posted by Kriston
    wink

I had this mental image of my two kids at the table, arms and legs waving helplessly...

It's close, but not quite true. They're mostly just trying to ruin my good kitchen table!

Anyway, carry on.

OT, but my kids have been known to spread white glue on their hands (and the table in the process) because it's so cool to peel it off when it dries eek

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Most schools I've heard of don't group for reading anymore either. I know ours doesn't.

As I understand it, grouping (teaching kids in groups of similar ability and/or achievement) got unfairly associated with tracking (once you're on this track you can't get off it) in the minds of many people, and it has lately been considered an elitist teaching strategy. As that's frowned upon, there's a lot less grouping than there used to be. It's a shame because it's one proven teaching strategy that allows kids of all ability levels to advance.

Count your lucky stars that you have grouping in reading! Maybe you can get them to apply that idea to math, too. More power to you!

(While you're at it, can you get reading groups back in my local school, please?)

wink

I was just talking to a 4th grade teacher about this the other day. Apparently we don't do tracking or ability grouping by classes (which is what we had when I was in school), but we do WITHIN the classes. This 4th grade teacher is at our school and teaches math and science. She explained that she teaches math to small groups of students. The small group method is required by the principal. She loves it because it makes her job easier when she has such varied levels within the same class.

I didn't realize others don't have reading groups anymore. I guess things are behind the times here in TX. wink In this case, I guess I'm glad.

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow - thanks for such a warm welcome and excellent advice. I'm so glad I found this board...

I think I'm just starting to realize that the 'get more flies with honey...' saying doesn't apply to GT advocacy and I need to be more demanding. Sometimes I feel I have to play nicey-nice with the principal so we can get a grade skip, and that if I ask for too much by demanding a detailed GIEP with further subject acceleration etc., she'll say forget it to the skip.

Unfortunately, we don't have other educational options outside of public school. Homeschooling won't work for our family and $$ is too tight for private school. I do have a copy of the Iowa Acceleration Scale and DS6 would probably score high (some of the required scores are missing). I actually was going to put a copy of the IAS with my note to the principal along with "A Nation Deceived". My DS however,was convinced that the principal would be so offended by the suggestion that she needs to be educated that she would shut down and stand firm with not accelerating. Maybe I'll call the principal this week and if she says nay to 2nd grade then I'll start alluding to the law, due process (etc.)

Dottie and Gratified3, I'd like to contact you about experience with PA system as soon as I figure out how to PM!

I'll keep folks updated about DYS - I guess I should be hearing soon since we applied for the April 15 deadline.

Thanks again for the support,
    Jool

Originally Posted by Jool
    I think I'm just starting to realize that the 'get more flies with honey...' saying doesn't apply to GT advocacy and I need to be more demanding. Sometimes I feel I have to play nicey-nice with the principal so we can get a grade skip, and that if I ask for too much by demanding a detailed GIEP with further subject acceleration etc., she'll say forget it to the skip.

I think trying to figure out how to thread that very challenging needle of too pushy vs. not pushy enough is just crazy-making. I hope you're oh-so-much better at it than I am. It sounds like you must be! smile

Kriston
    It is a fine line to walk! My strategy was to lead them to the conclusion that whole grade acceleration would be the least trouble for them--and truly it is. There was no way that my son's K teacher would have had the time or resources to give him appropriate work. Also, I feel that socially he is better off in a class where he is doing the same thing as everyone else instead of being pulled out or set to work by himself on a separate project.

It is so hard to negotiate with people who could make life very unpleasant for your child. If you have no other options then they have more power over you that way.

I just wanted to say hi and welcome. DS5 is in K and he loves binary numbers too. He picked learned it in a museum last year.

Good luck with the DYS application and the school. I hope you won't have to go through the whole due process, but at least you have the option to do so if needed.

LMom
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM