Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Austin, I'm glad it was so easy for you.
    You are not he.
    Only he and his family know if this is something that would be as intuitive as it was for you.

a GT kid can be motivated to analyze people and how they interact just as they would do for any subject. There are lots of books on Social Intelligence. Once a kid knows how to start up small talk, then he can interview the peer to see what they have in common.

Now this comment I am a little confused by. When you state "a gt kid" which one are you talking about. Same for, once "a kid"- who is this "a kid".

Is there just one kid with this ability?

It COULD be taken the wrong way as if the implication is "IF your kid is GT THEN they can be motivated to analyze people.
    IF he can read a book THEN he can win friends and influence people.

I definately agree with your viewpoint but I don't think we can make the assumption that all gt kids could easily turn this social situation around, it's not logical to me.

I wouldn't want e-beth or anyone else to ever think that it's so simple they must just be doing something wrong or are inadequate for not being able to prevent it so simply. KWIM?

Austin has identified the main problem. My DS8 has nothing in common with these kids. The 11-year old likes violent video games (no, really?) which I won't let my son watch. The younger kids think he is cool because he can view things that are forbidden to them. So he can keep them hooked because he shares info with them that they can't get any other place. They are starting to talk about alcohol and how cool it is to be drunk. So if my son does play with them, he starts acting out what I would call inappropriate things with his lego figures.

We are really quite different from the average family around here, in that we don't let him watch a lot of tv and we don't have a game boy or WII. I have often worried that we are depriving him of some basic social connection, and would love to ask what other people think of this. We prefer to spend our time reading books and using your imagination. But in this world, that can isolate you by making you stand out as different. He got labeled as "weird" and "crazy" in second grade because the other kids were playing Pokemon on the playground. My DS loves collecting the cards and knows all about the characters. But he hasn't watched any of the tv shows. These kids wanted to act out the tv shows exactly, and whenever my son had an idea about something cool he could add using his imagination, then the game would stop and they would call him names and tell him to leave. Sigh.

Once DS(then 7) was up in a tree looping climbing rope through all the branches and having a ball when one of the next door kids came over (they are the same age). My son excitedly asked the other boy to come on up on his spaceship, and that he was about to blast off to another planet. The ropes were the electricity lines that he was plugging in to power his ship, and so he told the boy to be careful not to touch them when he was climbing up. The boy stood there looking confused. My son stopped and explained again that he was welcome to come up and play and that maybe they could go off and have a grand adventure exploring space and finding some evil jedi to conquer. The boy continued to stare. After about ten minutes, the neighbor boy finally said, "Oh, you are using your imagination!".

Needless to say, they are not the best match for playmates. They (twin boys) have been held back a year and my son has advanced a year. The parents on the block actually view my son as the weird one (because he is up in trees talking to himself about space adventures!) and would prefer to have their kids play with the 11-year old who acts out his first-person-shooter games in the front yard. They view DS8's vivid imagination (you know, the one you get from turning off the tube and reading books occasionally...) as a sign of a mental disability. They have actually told their kids that they don't trust DS8 and not to play with him.

How do you find kids that are similar to your kid when your kid is one in 10,000+? Does anyone else have trouble finding "normal" kids for their kids to play with?

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    As you all can probably tell by now, I am not a person of few words. (embarrassed grin!)

If I ever post a message of only a sentence of two, please someone.. check my pulse!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    It seems like there are two issues. One is dealing/handling bullies. The second is finding appropriate friends.
    Does that sound right?

Yes, that is quite correct.

(pulse check... yes I'm still here!)

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    What about applying to DYS?
    I know others have mentioned MENSA for children's gatherings. We did take the girls to one in our area but there wasn't a ton going on.
    I suspect a drama class might attract other kids who are comfortable using there imagination creatively. I'm just guessing but it sounds good......hey perhaps we should look into that!

For bullying: As mentioned I think it's always wise to recruit help from an expert like you have.
    I will say I've made a concerted effort to balance between encouraging the girls to be themselves and aiding their ability to blend. It's a slippery slope, who knows if it's the right thing.
    We did buy a Wii. Of course I thought it would be fun, but honestly a big part of the purchasing decision was made on the observation that the 5 and 7 year old girls who were visiting would NOT be pleased to play snap circuits. But, they all seemed to be happy when they play Wii. I only have a few non-offensive games like bowling and Mario Super Galaxy.
    So I do, do little things like that to help them fit into the culture of our town/neighborhood. Right or wrong.

I'm glad your pulse is steady!

the neighbor boy finally said, "Oh, you are using your imagination!".

Ok, is this typical of most kids? I find this hard to believe. My boys engage in the type of play your son does on a minute basis. They would have had a blast climbing into that tree and pretending to conquer Darth Vador.

I feel profoundly sad for your son.

I remember DS(then 6) flying out of the school doors at the end of the day shortly after beginning first grade. His backpack was on backwards, pouch in the front, and he was pretending that it was a shield and he was a knight. He was so happy to be free from the confines of a desk and out in the sunshine. He was bursting with joy! All of the other parents literally stopped and stared at him. The parents here want their kids to be miniature adults, or little walking CEO's. They drum out creativity and individuality quickly.

Sadly, I wonder what is left?

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM