Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    There is YOUR reality based on your family's experience... and there is THEIR reality, based on their families' experiences.
    Exactly! And if we had used the experiences of others as our only guide, we may have missed out on what is probably the *best* option for our family in our community.

I
    I
    LOL, there is a vast difference between "using the experiences of others as our only guide" (which no one asked you to do) and discrediting others' authentic lived experiences if/when they do not match your own, by stating that they are "out of proportion to the reality in the school."

For future readers of this thread, here is a brief roundup of a few related discussions on public school experiences:
    - Our local public high school (May 2015)
    - Success Stories of HG+ in Pubic Schools? (March 2014)
    - Public or private school? (Nov 2013)
    - How do you feel about the public school system? (Oct 2013)

Here are some posts with expert resources on "school fit" including choosing a school, and advocacy.

Q
    Q
    Our experiences are similar to yours, amylou. It must be the Twin Syndrome! I totally agree that it is prudent not to take other parents' opinions as gospel and be open-minded and make an informed first-hand decision. Of course it is always helpful to consider a range of input from others, but ultimately each kid/family/school/extracurricular combo may yield a different outcome.

I have a pair of boy/girl twins who are incoming freshmen with nine years of public school experience. They are both in the DYS program although I don't use the PG label. I think it is important to point out that short of excellent private tutors for each subject, you likely won't get a consistent good fit; however, you may get a good enough fit that may well be the "best" available option.

Some factors that has helped in our situation include GT programming, magnet programming, single subject accelerations, stronger than statistically predicted cohorts, large schools, highly rated schools, early (dual) college admission program, great extracurricular opportunities, online supplements, educated parents, auto-didactic kids, and competitions/contests.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 07/31/17 10:46 AM.
    H
    H
    If you mean, the typical local school district, then in my experience, no. There are other types of specialized programs such as gifted schools or charter schools that are also considered public that may sometimes be a better fit.

P
    P
    I don't think schools are a great fit for anyone. I also think fit at high school in particular is more about personality and extra curricular interests. My brother did well - he is extroverted and loved drama and was OK at sports. I was introverted,severly asthmatic and depressed so not a good fit.

A
    A
    It will vary by child, family situation, grade, school, teachers, and political climate in education.

In our case, no.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    I think it depends on what you are looking for.

This is what I think too. Our public schools offer one or two years of acceleration in core subjects. But, there are overachieving PG kids there - because of the environment in my general neighborhood (plentiful resources in the area, DE/CC, motivated parents, PG peer groups, industry mentoring for STEM subjects) as well as tutoring/afterschooling etc.

In our case, we do not use the PS. Things were not hard enough for my child to put forth a meaningful effort in order to learn and he was developing a poor work ethic as a result. How my child was spending his days from 8:00 AM-3:00 PM began to matter to him at a very young age.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Originally Posted by spaghetti
    I think it depends on what you are looking for.

In our case, we do not use the PS. Things were not hard enough for my child to put forth a meaningful effort in order to learn and he was developing a poor work ethic as a result. How my child was spending his days from 8:00 AM-3:00 PM began to matter to him at a very young age.

This was our case too - it was DS at 3.5 asking us to take him out of daycare/preschool and either stay home or change environments where he was not so bored.

It is definitely going to be dependent on your family, your school district and what is important to you and your children - family values vs what is taught in school, what is offered for acceleration, and the administration of the local school.

M
    M
    Wishing your DS a happier school year.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by amylou
    I was just saying that in our own experience, the neighborhood public school provided a stimulating environment for a couple of kids who are extreme academic outliers.
    LOL, if your post only spoke of your own experience, I would not have quoted you as discounting other parents' complaints as being out of proportion to the reality of the school. There is not ONE reality; There is YOUR reality based on your family's experience... and there is THEIR reality, based on their families' experiences.

If it's their reality then that's ok but sometimes it's not reality but opinions, passed along social networks, based on only the skimpiest of details of what's really going on.

Last edited by mpledger; 08/03/17 09:56 PM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM