Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    hjb Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Very green here (just found this site, 1st post) but, I guess I am wondering about people's experience with the Young Scholars. I'm already exhausted looking around about this. We're a pretty typical family with lots of interests, none necessarily taking precedent over another (or another member in the family). This step scares me as seemingly something that will take over. (24/7 all about "the smart one"). Does that make sense???
    Thanks

K
    K
    I'm green too, as it seems I've had my head in the sand about my DS's needs. That said, I think it may "take over" but only for the time it takes to take in and assess all the information--at least for me that appears to be the case. I expect business as usual once we have a plan in place.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by hjb
    Very green here (just found this site, 1st post) but, I guess I am wondering about people's experience with the Young Scholars. I'm already exhausted looking around about this. We're a pretty typical family with lots of interests, none necessarily taking precedent over another (or another member in the family). This step scares me as seemingly something that will take over. (24/7 all about "the smart one"). Does that make sense???
    Thanks

Different kids have different needs. I think it is parents' responsibility to make the best effort to get those needs met. I don't think that makes it all about the smart one. Also--from what I have personally experienced, even though gifted kids may present differently, esp. when there are LDs, that exploring these issues will help understand immediate biological family and extended family better as well.

D
    D
    I'm sure you *could* let it take over, but it seems like a lot of people just use it as it is helpful to them (like maybe helping advocate at school) and otherwise aren't really involved. We did it because DD was having trouble with a particular set of teachers who were focusing on her social difficulties but not trying very hard to meet her academic needs and we thought a positive label might help. To be honest, I can't say it has yet (not many people in our area have heard of Davidson's) but I am grateful to DITD for their support and the opportunity to be part of a positive organization.

Also I just wanted to add that this board and the people on it have been great in giving some fantastic advice, help, and moral support.(as you can tell, it's a public board but is supported by Davidson's) I think this has actually been the most useful part of learning more about Davidson's, because otherwise I never would have found this board, but my impression is that most of the people who post aren't involved with Davidson's and have developed their expertise through their own hard work to support their kids--so a great source of information and ideas. smile Good luck!

Last edited by Dbat; 03/14/13 07:10 AM. Reason: Gracias
    K
    K
    Dbat,

Nicely said.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by hjb
    We're a pretty typical family with lots of interests, none necessarily taking precedent over another (or another member in the family). This step scares me as seemingly something that will take over. (24/7 all about "the smart one"). Does that make sense???

Welcome!

Think of it as your family has 3 girls with different interest. One is sport and pretty good in gymnastics and in competitive level. The other is into soccer. But the last one is a bookworm and not into sports at all. As a parent, you try to encourage all the kids of what they want to do especially you see potential in there. You may have to go with your DD to gymnastic competition across the state while your husband may have to take other DD to soccer practices and other to the library.

Having gifted kids academically is not much different from kid having talent in sports like swimming, basketball, etc.... Instead of practicing, they need extra or more challenging classes. The only difference is that there are a lot of opportunities out there for talented sporty children. People will cheer for you and encourage you. For our gufted kids, we are on our own. We have to advocate all the way for them.

But you found the perfect place. It's always a challenge to balance among all your children but you don't want to leave the gifted kid left unchallenged.

D
    D
    I should add--I have not finished the application yet for my dd12, because the urgency has abated thanks to what I have learned on this board and for now her needs seem to be well met. With a more complicated kid, I can imagine the assistance with advocacy would be helpful. If dd5 were to have qualifying scores I think would be eagerly completing the application.

H
    hjb Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks for the responses! I hope my original post didn't sound negative! I'm very glad I found this page. I very often feel overwhelmed and I get the nagging feeling I am slacking... I think Peter hit the nail on the head for me saying "for our gifted kids, we are on our own".
    KADmom, that is exactly where I am... hopefully pulling my head out of the sand?

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations