Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #15015 05/01/08 02:21 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS has been in first grade for about a month now and I see signs that he's getting a little too comfortable there, do you know what I mean? I went in for mathlab and I saw how he daydreamed through "morning opening" which is, admittedly, a mindnumbing exercise in repetition about the order of the days of the week and why we capitalize the names of the months, etc. I think it's a good thing that he only has another month and a half of first grade to go! He is beginning to tune out again. His handwriting is much faster now but sloppy.

Oh, and he did poorly on a spelling test--see if you can figure out why. Here is an excerpt:

Look at the underlined words. Find the one that is spelled wrong. Fill in its circle.

(a) The bike fell on the ground.
    (b) Her face looks happy.
    (c) The lemon tastes sour.
    (d) All the underlined words are spelled right.

He also missed several questions on a math test about time because the pictures of the clocks didn't make any sense. For example, the time 3:30 was pictured as the minute hand on the 6 and the hour hand on the 3 (instead of between the 3 and the 4.) He was asked to draw what the clock would look like one hour later. Since the hands didn't make sense, he only drew the hour hand one hour later and didn't draw a minute hand at all...

Q
    Q
    Okay, I admit it, other than possibly substituting correctly for right, I'm stumped. What's the answer?

He also missed several questions on a math test about time because the pictures of the clocks didn't make any sense. For example, the time 3:30 was pictured as the minute hand on the 6 and the hour hand on the 3 (instead of between the 3 and the 4.) He was asked to draw what the clock would look like one hour later. Since the hands didn't make sense, he only drew the hour hand one hour later and didn't draw a minute hand at all...

Same problem here several years ago:-)
    Can't figure out the spelling though ???

Ania #15018 05/01/08 02:41 PM
    acs Offline
    I'm guessing it's D. Not that underlined is spelled wrong, but that the answer is that all the words are spelled correctly above. The underlining means different things in the different questions--tricky. Am I right?

Ania #15019 05/01/08 02:42 PM
    S
    S
    I got the spelling! First, there are NO cirles to fill in. Second, since none of the words is spelled wrong, there is nothing to mark on the paper. So, naturally, the teacher doesn't know that he knows the spellings are correct.

Cathy, am I close? And, yeah, we get the clock thing as well. In addition to the fact that the teacher wants the hands exactly the lenght that she draws them and the arrow at the end has to be filled in completely instead of just an open arrow. Eek!

Oops, sorry, ACS, I double-crossed you. No, that doesn't sound right - posted over you? whatever, sorry

Last edited by squirt; 05/01/08 02:43 PM. Reason: added more (always more)
    Ania #15020 05/01/08 02:44 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I believe the answer was d, but it didn't correspond to the question because none of the UNDERLINED words were spelled incorrectly. Plus there were no "circles" to fill in. But clearly that is a stupid question, designed to confuse rather than to test knowledge/mastery. I hate that.

cym #15022 05/01/08 02:54 PM
    acs Offline
    I doubt it was designed to confuse; it just wasn't well thought out or piloted in the classroom before published.

acs #15026 05/01/08 03:26 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, there actually were circles to fill in on his paper (I just couldn't type them in my post), but he said none of the underlined words appeared to be spelled incorrectly--including the word "underlined"--so he figured he was mistaken and just randomly guessed.

By the way, this is from SRA/McGraw-Hill.

Personally, I don't like this approach to spelling anyway. I think reading misspelled words just confuses kids and then they remember the misspellings.

Last edited by Cathy A; 05/01/08 03:27 PM.
    acs #15027 05/01/08 03:27 PM
    The questions says find a word that is not spelled correctly. Of course he didn't choose anything because everything is spelled correctly. For him (d) was just a sentence not another option.

LMom
    LMom #15028 05/01/08 03:29 PM
    Cathy, we posted at the same time. I am glad he is almost done with 1st grade. I am afraid that you will be in a similar situation next October though frown

LMom
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs