Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    It seems unlikely you can't substantially improve the pencil grip. Maybe it's like learning another language and when you learn older it becomes harder to be a natural speaker?

M
    M
    It's certainly very difficult to change motor memory, which is what handwriting becomes. I don't think it's so much that it can't be done as that it can't be done trivially - it may require intensive practice (which may be resisted) and supervision (which may be hard to come by).

The great thing about the grips I linked to above is that they prevent the child from wrapping the thumb - the crossover grip by having wings in the way and the jumbo is simply too big to get all the way around. Thus supervision requirements / constant corrections are reduced.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Zen Scanner can you provide links to info on language / hemisphere dominance? My DD (with the grips etc) has a hooked arm for right handed writing, her OT is bemused. I know our whole family has mixed dominance for eye/hand/foot, but I have not heard of there being a side for language dominance.

Hi, the dominance is basically about brain organization. Essentially in a small proportion of the population the hemispheres are on opposite sides. I was fortunate to assist a psychologist focused on brain hemisphere roles in the eighties; so, some of this is second nature knowledge.

I was able to find a book reference that discusses this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=vw...ting%20hook%20brain%20hemisphere&f=false

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    Zen~
    Thank you!
    I checked out that link, and found it very interesting, according to this then,
    my DS6 who is very much a visual-spatial learner--- which is the Right side,
    because he is a righty that writes with a hook,
    instead of being left brain dominant- what one assumes with a righty-
    my DS is RIGHT side brain dominant.
    interesting only 3% of population is Right brain dominant.
    and combined with my DS visual-spatial...

Wondering then, what exactly does that mean? As far as effect on learning or on Art? Or more importantly- on LANGUAGE? DS only real deficit is in language.
    He does dislike writing though. The actual mechanics of it, his hand gets tired/sore so fast! But
    DS is an amazing artist.

I didn't mean hijack this link. Just wondering if you knew anything else re Right brain dominance. I have just been recently trying to learn all I can in re to how to teach a visual-spatial learner...

Last edited by cc6; 03/10/13 11:20 PM. Reason: added more

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    It's certainly very difficult to change motor memory, which is what handwriting becomes. I don't think it's so much that it can't be done as that it can't be done trivially - it may require intensive practice (which may be resisted) and supervision (which may be hard to come by).

I agree with this.

It's basically possible to change anything in terms of motor memory as long as you want to put in enough time and enough effort in the proper manner.

Z
    Z
    Hi cc6,
    It is all kinda messy. First, you can't judge an individual case from statistics. And since we are all here because we are raising statistical anomalies (note to self... remember to tell DS that,) it is hard to make conclusions. In essence, that 3% case represents a mirroring of a typical brain organization. So, you'd reread any reference to brain hemispheres the opposite. The mainstream concept of right hemi = creative/ left hemi = logical becomes right hemi = logical, left = creative.

But who knows, it could be the case that your son has language processing in the same hemisphere as spatial processing. Makes for interesting speculation.

Oddly, I remember my parents saying I always tried to write with my left hand, but the school made me write with my right. Never thought about it until now thinking about my son's handwriting issues and this thread. So, I experimented with my arm hooked and I may write better that way. Surreal.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Interestingly arm/body position in writing tends to be representative of actual hemispheric dominance in language use. In that a "normal position" represents language in the opposite hemisphere from the writing hand; whereas the hooked arm position tends to represent language in the same hemisphere as the writing hand. Mis-modeling could be a factor too.

This is what I've heard as well. I'm a lefty that writes without a hook (not corrected- just never hooked at all). My mother found some literature and shared it with me as a teen that suggested this meant language for me was in my right hemisphere.

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    thanks zen!!
    so following the mirror theory- does this mean DS visual spatial is also in the left as well? or does that stay in right hemi?
    all very interesting! guess you are saying mirror means right is left and left is right. ok.

examples i've read don't really say that. i probably misread! i was reading picasso, and many great artists are lefty's. and that some right handed people, can paint better with their left hand.

ginaW= my mom is a lefty, writes w/o a hook also! she has never written with a hook. she had never heard this before i learned it from zen...

as far as my mom goes- she is NOT visual at all %/

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

K
    K
    Mom2277,

I don't know if this helps or not but my DS11 had pencil grip issues all through K, 1, 2, 3 and 4th grades. For whatever reason, he didn't want to change, even when his 4th grade teacher noticed and tried to correct. Eventually, on his own terms, he corrected himself because it felt better. It hasn't been an issue this year.

Katrina

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...