Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by arlen1
    AFAIK, it is 'number of ways to place 4 identical balls into 3 containers' = 'throw 2 sticks between 4 balls, on the outside allowed' = C(6,2) = (6*5)/(2*1) = 15.

(3 containers, and not 4, because the number < 1000 and so has <= 3 digits.)
    Ah of course. For some reason I misread it as a 4 digit number.

22B Offline
    We don't know the age and background of the OP's daughter, but it looks like the question is designed for someone with no particular background in combinatorics (counting techniques). Instead, the approach is to just try and list all the numbers systematically, e.g. in increasing order. (The problem said to actually list them, not just count them.) It's most educational if the student just tries to figure it out by themselves without being taught a method.

In other words there's not supposed to be an already-learned method, and I was trying to make this point in an obscure way by giving a (counting) method.

If you want a counting method, a classic one is given in the mathforum.org link above. Another classic counting method is the "generating function" method I gave above. Briefly, you want to count solutions to
    a+b+c=4 (a,b,c non-negative integers)
    Now 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...
    Distribute
    (1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...)(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...)(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...)
    and collect like terms.
    The fifteen x^4 terms correspond to all the products (x^a)(x^b)(x^c)=x^{a+b+c} equalling x^4.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by 22B
    We don't know the age and background of the OP's daughter, but it looks like the question is designed for someone with no particular background in combinatorics (counting techniques). Instead, the approach is to just try and list all the numbers systematically, e.g. in increasing order. (The problem said to actually list them, not just count them.) It's most educational if the student just tries to figure it out by themselves without being taught a method.

In other words there's not supposed to be an already-learned method, and I was trying to make this point in an obscure way by giving a (counting) method.

If you want a counting method, a classic one is given in the mathforum.org link above. Another classic counting method is the "generating function" method I gave above. Briefly, you want to count solutions to
    a+b+c=4 (a,b,c non-negative integers)
    Now 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...
    Distribute
    (1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...)(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...)(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+...)
    and collect like terms.
    The fifteen x^4 terms correspond to all the products (x^a)(x^b)(x^c)=x^{a+b+c} equalling x^4.

A lovely, succinct explanation. Thank you!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM