Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Irena #148545 02/12/13 01:04 PM
    Originally Posted by marytheres
    LOl so Jon - do you have ADHD? Is that the culprit beghind your major problem?

I could use some H to increase my productivity.

Irena #148546 02/12/13 01:11 PM
    Z
    Z
    I'm glad to know that a central issue has been covered. Just was worried thinking about it.

Here's an article that may be of interest:
    http://brainposts.blogspot.com/2011/11/neuropsychology-and-cerebellum-part-ii.html#!/2011/11/neuropsychology-and-cerebellum-part-ii.html

One quote from there:
    "Greater decrease in cerebellar volumes are seen in children with ADHD not treated with stimulants suggesting stimulant medication may reduce cerebellar abnormalities in ADHD"

Irena #148549 02/12/13 01:29 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Jon, you make laugh out loud.

Irena #148550 02/12/13 01:31 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    hmmm so basically adhd is related to this area of the brain and if he needs meds may good to start with trying the stimulants...

Irena #148562 02/12/13 02:44 PM
    P
    P
    Marytheres - I read some prior posts and it seems like your DS may have several other exceptionalities other than being gifted or ADHD. I think you mentioned dysgraphia and also that he has OT or VT for other issues.

When my DS was being assessed for ADHD, other issues were contemplated and ruled out because many other issues can present like ADHD. My DS did get an ADHD combined type diagnosis - his executive funcition deficiencies are fairly typically ADHD - impulse control, behavior issues, getting bogged down in the bigness of tasks and having trouble breaking them down into something he can manage and, of course, distractibility. His working memory is pretty strong but the tips and strategies in Smart But Scattered have been effective with him. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that there are several accomodations, resources out there that can work for people (even if they don't have ADHD) that might be useful. I would google executive function deficit and/or improving working memory. I think one of the keys is to help him routinize automaticity.

Irena #148563 02/12/13 02:46 PM
    H
    H
    I've enjoyed reading the work of Dr. Daniel Amen who has really been on what I consider to be the cutting edge of psychiatry. He has been using SPECT brain imaging to show how brains are functioning and the structurally visible representations of the disorders that have been previously diagnosed (as they have been for over a century) by rather subjective symptomology checklists. I find his work very impressive. One of his most popular books is Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program that Allows you to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD. His website is www.amenclinics.com. I find it fascinating to look at the functioning of the parts of the brain.

Irena #148584 02/12/13 05:54 PM
    P
    P
    marytheres, I don't have a child with an ADHD diagnosis (at the present time lol! we've had one in the past...) but my ds dysgraphic *absolutely* has huge challenges with automaticity - related to his dyspraxia and dysgraphia. For instance, he wasn't able to learn how to tie his shoes until late 4th grade because he doesn't have the same learning-by-repetition-which-quickly-comes-automaticity that neurotypical kids do. You might want to do some googling (in all your spare time, eh? smile ) on dyspraxia or developmental coordination disorder (basically the same thing; neuropsychs will call the diagnosis DCD). The lack of automaticity in everyday skills (things like buttoning a shirt etc) is different than the symptoms commonly associated with ADHD, but dyspraxic people *do* share some overlapping symptoms - one is challenges with organizational and similar EF skills. The book mentioned above will be helpful in that sense (I read it many years ago, personally I think it has some very good suggestions for helping nt kids with organizational skills!).

Our ds was once diagnosed with ADHD but the diagnosis was largely based on what he was appearing to struggle with in the classroom... and once we had accommodations in place for his dysgraphia and we understood his dyspraxia better those classroom symptoms disappeared and when he underwent both an ADHD-specific eval and a repeat neuropsych eval both found no evidence of ADHD.

So that's just our experience - jmo, but the difficulty with automaticity, my guess, is more likely related to your ds' dysgraphia than to ADHD (whether or not he has ADHD smile ).

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - I didn't have time to reply to your post yesterday - but I was so glad to read you had some answers finally!

Irena #148592 02/12/13 08:16 PM
    M
    M
    I am finding it hard to say for sure but I think my child with Aspergers and dyslexia had way more problems with automaticity than my child with ADHD has. She was not an obvious case of ADHD at all, we got called in to the headmasters office to explain ourselves in fact! But as well as all the attention related improvements ADHD medication has marked impact on her hand writing and general control of her body. She has low tone and is hypermobile and while the medication doesn't take this away she's much less "floppy" on medication, less likely to flop all over the place when having her hair brushed for example...

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    [quote=MumOfThree She has low tone and is hypermobile and while the medication doesn't take this away she's much less "floppy" on medication, less likely to flop all over the place when having her hair brushed for example... [/quote]

This is interesting that ADHD meds affect your daughter's hypotonia... Have you ever looked into why? I am just curious.

Irena #148785 02/15/13 09:16 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Polarbear, what are the hallmarks of dyspraxia? Who diagnoses it? My DS has had a few evals now, sees an OT regularly, etc.... No one has ever mentioned dyspraxia though it seems like he does have some of the symptoms of it. Are there specific tests for it?

Some things I am thinking about doing:

I am thinking I am going to take all of his testing and evals to a neuropsychologist and get her 'take' - so to speak. I am not sure he can go through anymore testing at this point. He gets evals and testing for the vision every so many months too and I think he is getting burned out on testing. And I do want him to do a WISC for the school psych in the spring so I can see if there is any improvement in working memory, processing speed and visual-spatial that I can maybe correlate with the year of OT twice a week and vision therapy. I think the school psych did a pretty thorough battery of tests and included a lot of observations, etc. that a neuropsych could use to look at and see what if anything jumps out at her.

I was also thinking that over the summer he could do a program at one of those LearningRx places http://www.learningrx.com/main-line/. I know it's a gamble but they seem to work specifically on strengtheing DS' areas of weakness processing and memory. Anyone have any opinion on a program like that? I'd just hate to see his low working memory and processing skills hold him back (and if the cause isn't ADD, what else could I do to help him, ykim?). Seems to me that those (WM and processing skills) would be pretty important for success in school just in general. Anyway, it's expensive - very expensive so it's just a thought right now.

ETA: I guess there is always the possiblity that DS is simply developing asynchronously and his WM and Processing skills will catch up with time. Another reason to see if there is improvement in those specific areas from last year's WISC - again give me an idea if with time and therapies those areas are improving.

Last edited by marytheres; 02/15/13 09:22 AM.
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM