Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    I was actually told: The only way that further assessment could occur is if there was a concern for special needs.

He was given the KABC-II October 2011. It was administered by a school psychologist intern who told his teacher his score might have been even higher if it hadn't taken him a bit to warm up to her. However, she failed to include that info in the written report.

So I was directed to yet another school psych intern with any questions I may have. She has an email from me waiting. I think a phone call will be easier, so I have requested one. But I like email "paper trails."

Any advice on questions or info? He is 2nd grade and will not be officially "gifted" until 4th grade. He was entered into the "talent pool" last school year after he was accelerated from K to 1st.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    FTR, he has made straight As this year. But his test scores, especially in math, do not reflect that. He seems to have more in his head than he is able to put on paper. Then there are little things like the way he understands written directions. He took a test last week in math that had three steps. The third said subtract. He said he didn't know he was suppose to write down the answer, so he didn't. For 4 problems. Or the way he tries to explain why/how he has done his math.

I think it is a combo of asynchronies and perfectionism, perhaps.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    I am now getting the run around. School psych says talk to gifted teacher. Gifted teacher says she is no longer at our school & sends me to new gifted teacher who doesn't seem to be understanding what I am asking. I am going to the principal next, I guess.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Basically, he was whole grade accelerated last school year from Kindergarten to first grade at the recommendation of his kindy teacher. I want an overall assessment of his abilities to help make any future educational decisions. Additionally, if we want to do any summer programs or any out of school enrichment opportunities for gifted learners, many of them require test scores like the WJ-III, etc.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    They are doing what they are suppose to. I realize they don't have to do this by law, but it seems no one I have talked to is 100% sure it can't be done.At this point, I just want to talk to someone who can answer all my questions

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent