Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    if the kids in his class had been needling him all week losing the plot and shouting seems quite reasonable. If first thing on a Monday morning not so much.

With regards to the other parents my grandmother used to say "well I never wanted a suet pudding anyway", and ask them about their opinion on the latest political issue (or local event if more appropriate."suet pudding" was her name for children who just sit stodgily where they are put.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    I guess I would need to know more about his behavior. Is the "shut your mouth" example typical, with excursions into worse behavior? Where I'm heading is, this may be more than just feeling emotions intensely. It may be a problem with behavioral control that needs to be addressed.

With regard to the other parents -- is your son regularly exploding at their children and verbally attacking them? If so, this may actually be their attempt to build bridges to you. It may be that they are trying very hard not to brand you as Evil Parent of Evil Kid and instead are trying to start a dialog with you about it.

That was my thought too. Sounds like you already have a neuropsych on board and have ruled out any developmental disorders? We have seen a lot of this kind of explosive and inflexible behavior in my DS10 who has autism spectrum disorder.

DeeDee

Definitely not typical as far as I know. I had never heard him say those words before. He thinks "shut-up" is a cuss word, so that's why I was so surprised by this. I don't think he normally explodes at other kids, but he does get frustrated and needs about 10 minutes to return to homeostasis. Earlier in the year I told him that when he starts to feel like he might loose his temper, to go for a short walk down the hall and back. His teacher said he's used this strategy a couple times this year. She has not voiced concern over his behavior - she just accepts him as he is I guess, which is nice. Although he will sometimes get "negative dojo points" in class (their behavior discipline system).

Very insightful comments though. I appreciate the thoughts.

Also, the comeback thing is kinda just for fun. I don't plan on telling off any parents.

U
    U
    I find that a mild but dismissive comment is helpful here--"Yes, he has his moments!" or "We're working on it," or something like that, followed by a change in topic. Acknowledge, be light, move on.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM