Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #148137 02/07/13 09:56 AM
    B
    bzylzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    On a thread recently there were book recommendations regarding girls relating to each other.

Last night my DD says "So I've noticed alot of time that when two girls pass each other in the hall, they each flip their hair as they look at each other. What do you think they could be communicating?" She added "hair flipping seems to be an important thing for girls".

Also we recently (possibly) figured out the mystery of why this one girl was giving her dirty looks. Turns out that another girl who has been very friendly to my DD (my DD is new at the school) is "BEST FRIENDS SINCE PRESCHOOL" with the girl giving DD dirty looks. When I told DD about possibly the dirty-looks girl being worried about losing her best friend, etc. she was like "ooohhh, okay!"

Anyway I think DD would be open at this time to reading up on the topic.

I've never been very strong at reading girl signals such as hair-flipping so I'm not much help in this department.
    Which of those books or any others would be good for DD to read?

Thanks.

Last edited by bzylzy; 02/07/13 09:57 AM.
    E
    E
    How old is your DD?

In the other thread, I recommended Little Girl Can Be Mean. DD8 also really likes the American Girl book on feelings - I think it's something like The Care and Keeping of Your Emotions. If she's a little older - like 11 or 12 - I'd start with Queen Bees and Wannabees.

B
    bzylzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks.

She's 9. I will try the ones you mentioned for an 8 year old - it might also help her sort out some things she's dealt with in the past. She hasn't wanted to talk about these things constructively before so since she brought it up first (always best with her personality) I thought it would be a good opportunity.

P
    P
    I was also going to recommend the American Girl book!

polarbear

E
    E
    Little Girls Can Be Mean is addressed to parents/teachers, but it suggests that you have your daughter read it, too. The American Girl book is addressed to kids. I really like that one, although I think that DD wishes it were about 4 times as long and detailed.

J
    J
    I just bought a gifted student of mine a book called "The Smart Girls Guide to Handling Difficult Situations" or something like that. She loved it!

Best of luck!

B
    bzylzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks, Jen Gordievsky. I'm glad to see your posts. I wish you were my DD's teacher, you'd probably get a kick out of her!

I'm writing to report that the American Girl The Feelings Book (Care and Keeping of Your Emotions) has been a hit so far. She reads me parts of it at breakfast and has taken one of the "quizzes" to discover her profile.

I'll try the Smart Girl's Guide also.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM