Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 238 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Yeah-- I guess "mathy" in my head implies a passion for the subject, not merely aptitude for it. (I've got one of those kids, too-- she's GOOD at math, but isn't passionately engaged by it.)

Sounds like a nice system for kiddos that truly do think of math as a fun elective opportunity. Equally good that it's not mandatory for kids who don't, too.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    My DS would freak if I made him drop Orchestra. It is his down time during the day. He did the Algebra 1 in 7th grade, Honors Geometry with CTY over the summer and is now in Honors Algebra 2. He will take AP Stats in 9th and then on to Pre Cal. Cramming the Honors Geometry into about 9 weeks was a little much. If I had a do-over, I would have registered him mid way through 7th grade and given him 6 months to complete the class. He isn't a math lover, but he loves Science and wanted to accelerate in that area. He was motivated by the idea of getting a head of the curve in Math to push the Science faster.

It's always a tough choice when things are good as is.

P
    P
    Have you read "the calculus trap"? I think it is on the AOPS website.

Last edited by puffin; 02/14/13 01:46 AM.
    C
    C
    I don't think I would opt to do two math courses at once. I would want my child to have room in the schedule for "fun" stuff, like orchestra. Not that math isn't fun, but you know what I mean smile I have a kid who is now in HS who went through a year of no room in her schedule for anything fun and she resented it.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    I'm pretty sure that dd12 has opted just to take geometry next yr in 8th. She's signed up for honors classes in science, English, and history & will probably continue with the chamber orchestra, which is an additional audition only orchestra, so it will be good to have an easy math year.

Originally Posted by kcab
    Originally Posted by CFK
    I guess we all define "mathy" differently. My son took every opportunity that was presented to learn math. Nothing would have taken precedence over more and more math (still doesn't). Math is fun for him and he would choose it as an elective whenever possible.
    I guess my current opinion is that school is not necessarily the best place to learn math. I've had different opinions under different circumstances, this one is in response to my kids' current schools and current math teachers.

Heh.

Indeed.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I guess that this is my kiddo who I've always seen as "mathy" despite the lack of passion for the subject b/c it comes so easily, she doesn't need to do all of the steps like setting up proportions to know what needs to be done, and she is just rather creative about it in a way that shows good conceptual understanding to me. For instance, in 4th grade I think it was, while she wasn't doing what she was supposed to in math class she instead spent the time devising a new method to divide that was seriously complex but which worked.

I can certainly see defining "mathy" as passion and not just ability, though.

S
    S
    One of my two children I consider to be "mathy". As we go about our daily lives he thinks about things with a mathy twist (percentages, proportions, numerically, statistics and probability) where as I just don't.

He is in an honors/gifted class for math where his teacher totally gets him. He does well. But math isn't his passion yet. He likes words more.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM