Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #145641 01/07/13 05:33 PM
    M
    Mark D. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Now that the holidays are over, it�s time to start planning for the summer! As such, we wanted to share some facts about the Davidson THINK Summer Institute .

1) THINK is designed to provide gifted students challenging and engaging college-level coursework.
    2) Students can walk away with six transferable college credits in only three weeks!
    3) Our excellent teaching staff has several years of experience working with gifted teens.
    4) Program participants are able to connect and make friends with like-minded peers.
    5) THINK will be celebrating its 10th year this upcoming summer!

If you�d like to learn more about THINK or see if your child qualifies, please visit our website or contact THINK@DavidsonGifted.org.

M
    Mark D. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Why do our THINK Summer Institute professors enjoy teaching for this program? Please read below to find out!

�This will be my seventh year teaching with the THINK Summer Institute and it is always both interesting and rewarding. My area of research involves studying problem solving strategies and I greatly enjoy sharing this with all my students. However, with the THINK students, both the challenge and the reward are elevated because they have such a great thirst for learning. They also have much more completely refined learning skills and work ethics so we can get into our various topics deeply and effectively with much less �warm-up� time. Whether we are building a computer or solving a multi-variable puzzle, the students jump in with both feet and don�t back down until they accomplish the task or find the answer. The best part is that many of the students will pick up where the lesson left off and work to extend their knowledge or bring me back some new item they found as they dug even deeper. By definition, these students possess amazing gifts, but I would argue that their best gift is their curiosity and their desire to learn. I always have fun with them.�
    ~ Dr. Michael Leverington; Computer Science Professor

M
    Mark D. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Read a statement from one of our past students on why she enjoyed her experience at the THINK Summer Institute:

�In my freshman year of high school, I flew across the country to attend THINK for the first time. It was with enthusiasm that I later chose to return for two additional summers. I found that the program allowed for a deep and effective exploration of collegiate subjects, and it is special because the campers are young. I believe that it was my early exposure to the intensive courses that made the experience so impressionable to me.

Quickly and naturally, THINK helped me gain perspective on the depth and endlessness of different questions in the world. Whether I listened to a lecture on the evolution of political ideologies in European history, the linguistic elements of jokes, or the business applications of expected value functions, I saw that there is always more to learn. Furthermore, THINK led me to realize that there is no end to how much more I want to learn. In addition to the inspiring academics that I encountered in my summers, I just couldn�t resist the family that I found in the campers and devoted staff. The lively classes and conversations left me so excited for college.�

~ Claire L.; THINKer in 2009, 2010, 2011

M
    Mark D. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    There is less than a month to apply to the 2013 THINK Summer Institute! As courses are filling up, we encourage those who are interested in earning six college credits and spending three weeks with other like-minded peers this summer to submit an application (http://bit.ly/VFOl4T) sooner rather than later. Our application deadline is March 1, 2013. If you have any questions, please contact THINK@DavidsonGifted.org.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/think/

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM