Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 169 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    Today spec ed teacher brought up the possibility of putting DD into "prescriptive PE" in addition to all the other services. I think it is a good idea - between the dyspraxia and the working memory issues she can have a hard time keeping up and the other day when they did a team activity her team mates apparently made their displeasure known. Adding this and Assistive Technology to her already incredibly complex IEP? I think the writing is clearly on the wall about regular ed not working...

But it sounds as though it's not working only because this particular school has not wanted to make it work. Our kids have had some really spectacular levels of help in school at some points in their education, very tailored to their needs-- if the school wants to make it work, and the teacher is thoughtful and capable, and has the right resources, they can do it.

I don't want you to think complexity takes public school off the table. In our experience, it can be done-- IF the school is really interested in doing the right thing by your kid. If not, of course, well, you know as well as I.

Originally Posted by Pemberley
    We have considered - very seriously considered - selling our house and relocating to a different school district. No guarantee that they will be able to meet her needs any better, though.

Does your advocate have any information about what other districts are like, locally? If you moved across a border, would that give you access to a public school that has a different level of commitment to kids with disabilities?

This is tough stuff. You'll figure it out-- you will know SO much more once you visit these places, observe in their classrooms, and talk with their principals.

Hang in there,
    DeeDee

A
    A
    We've done the commute, and for us, it was tough. Our kids went straight from school to extracurricular activities and didn't get home to start homework until 6 or 7. That left little time to unwind, much less develop friendships in the neighborhood. The school would have to be really, really amazing for me to consider it again.

But that was just our experience.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks ABQMom. We have ruled out the LD school - not only is it too far away but it doesn't really seem like they would be able to meet DD's needs.

I had another conversation with the admissions director from the 2E school and it really sounds like that is the way we will have to go. Try to anyway. Hopefully we can get the district to agree rather than ending up in a drawn out legal battle over it. I do not relish the idea of DD and I being separated from DH during the school week but I think it can be doable - especially since we will be close enough to come home on weekends. If we can't make the 2E school work we will then have to pump up the pressure on the district even higher - if that's even possible. I think the district WANTS to meet her needs. It is the really awful principal and finding a teacher who gets it that will be the stumbling blocks. Without those 2 pieces of the puzzle I think the neighborhood school is destined to fail. No way should DD be sacrificed to the ego of an unqualified principal. No way can we allow that to happen...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM