Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #147739 02/02/13 03:26 PM
    J
    jaytee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi, everyone -

I was wondering if anyone knows how the WISC-IV IQ test is typically administered? Is it a test that is usually conducted over several days or in one sitting?

Thanks!

jaytee

jaytee #147740 02/02/13 04:06 PM
    F
    F
    I don't know what is typical, but for my kids it was one sitting with a few breaks. Total time was 2 hours.

jaytee #147741 02/02/13 04:46 PM
    M
    M
    My dd has done it twice, once in one sitting, once in two

jaytee #147743 02/02/13 04:53 PM
    J
    jaytee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks.

The reason I ask is because my son's school administered this test to him a couple months ago as part of his IEP triennial review, but they broke it up into half hour intervals over several (non-consecutive) days. I was never told this test was being conducted, and he was pulled out of class for each testing session. The psychologist indicated that there were a few days when he complained of being tired and was reluctant to leave his class, which may have affected his performance. At least once, he had to miss part of recess as a result of the testing, which also made him unhappy.

He scored just under the cusp to qualify for the Davidson Young Scholars program, so I was wondering if it was worth pursuing having him retested? If his test was representative of how they are typically conducted, I'm happy to let it be and consider his results accurate. But if there is a chance that a more clinically compliant evaluation would yield more accurate scores, I might be interested in requesting a reassessment.

Thanks again!

jaytee

jaytee #147745 02/02/13 05:25 PM
    S
    S
    But he can't be retested with that test so soon. It would have to be a different test.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    jaytee #147747 02/02/13 05:52 PM
    J
    jaytee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Oh yes, I know he's spoiled for the WISC-IV. They'd have to use another test. But again, I'm wondering if this is something that would be worth pursuing or if most people would consider his test valid.

jaytee #147760 02/03/13 03:50 AM
    M
    M
    It does seem like private psychologists often do a better job, I guess it's a question of whether/why you need to know if he's capable of more under better circumstances? He could well do better, he might not? Is it worth the money to find out?

jaytee #147777 02/03/13 12:39 PM
    P
    P
    jaytee, I suspect that there will always be a chance you'll have a question with any one set of testing. When my kids were first tested (dd10 and ds13 were both tested privately at 5), the tests were spread out over multiple sessions so they wouldn't get tired etc. They've both been tested privately again since then, and ds has had a test through school - each of those tests have been conducted at one sitting in the same day, with a few breaks in between subtests. When ds was tested at school I wasn't given any advance notice of the date, he was pulled out of a once-a-YEAR class that he'd been looking forward to for months, was extremely unhappy, and on top of all that he'd hit his head in a fall while ice-skating the night before and still had a horrendous headache from it which he'd refused to take pain meds for. To cut to the chase, his IQ results have always been very consistent no matter who tests and what the situation is and how well he likes the tester. My dd10, otoh, scored much higher on her original testing which was spread out over a few days with a psych that she really REALLY liked. Did that make a difference? I'm not sure I'll ever know.

The one thing I would consider before deciding when to test again is will other people/groups/teachers/whoever consider the results reliable? The factors that played into that for us were reputation of the person doing the testing *and* age... we've had the early IQ tests (given at 6 years old and younger) questioned by our kids' schools and gifted programs. The tests they had when they were 7 and older haven't been questioned. NOTE - this includes ds' testing that at 5 that was given through the school district - was in fact questioned later by the SAME school district lol!

So - unless there is a compelling reason to retest now (other than curiosity), I'd suggest waiting a year and then re-test if you want to know. I wouldn't pay to do it now to get into DYS, simply because you're taking a risk that he still might not qualify, plus you'd spend $ on a test that you might not be able to use for another program later on. FWIW, and this is not a dig at DYS in anyway at all - there are other programs out there for gifted kids with admission bars set lower... you might find that a different program offers the type of help you're looking for for your ds without having to retest now.

Best wishes,

polarbear

jaytee #147803 02/04/13 08:54 AM
    That is how the school handled testing my son, but not the private neuropsych. She did it all in one day, with a few breaks thrown in. The school did it in short sessions over the course of 2 weeks. However, for my son, the scores were very close (one was the Weschler, the other was the Kaufman), so I would consider both valid. I can see how easily the disruption could effect the child though.

~amy
    jaytee #147902 02/04/13 09:18 PM
    T
    T
    Ask for the GAI. Odds are that it will be much higher than the FSIQ, and if he was just under qualifying for Davidson that might push him over the edge.

And for mine the WISC and WIPPSI were about an hour? Under two for sure.

Last edited by Tallulah; 02/04/13 09:19 PM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM