Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (P92), 287 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    vwmommy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I was trying to explain what it is sometimes like to carry on a conversation with my son to someone today and the best analogy I could think of was a cow's stomach. You know how we always learned that cows have four stomachs and can chew/digest multiple things at the same time? That's how DS's brain seems to work. We can be having a completely normal conversation about topic A when all of a sudden DS rattles off some obscure train of thought that he has obviously been thinking about the whole time and then go back to discussing the original topic at hand without skipping a beat. It's not so much like he can't stay on track with our conversation. It's more like he is having that one while digesting another and he could switch back and forth at any time. Does this make any sense? Has anyone else seen this in their gifted kids?

I've settled down but my dad once said talking to me was like watching several ping pong games being played at the same time. I thought by the title the thread was going to be about having too many thoughts about a subject that you can't make up your mind, "paralysis by analysis".

Last edited by La Texican; 05/17/12 06:48 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    vwmommy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    LOL

We have the 'paralysis by analysis' problem here too but I'll save that thread for a different day ;-)

W
    W
    I still do this. I normally have about three things going on at once in my mind. I'm really not sure how I do it or how I keep it all organized, but I've been like this my whole life. It took me until I was out of college to realize that not everyone thinks this way. I was stunned when people were astonished that I could!

P
    P
    Just discovered at 16( after reading this forum) that having 2-5 thoughts at the same time isn't normal, it's pretty difficult to do 5. I literally just searched it on google expecting that it would be normal for everyone. Are you sure it's not?

L
    L
    My son does this all the time when we are in the middle of a deep discussion about history and politics and things that are happening in the news. It is like he has this energy that builds up when he has so many different interesting things in his head and needs to release it by talking. It is like he has a hyperactive mind but no attention deficit.

I constantly juggle thoughts about our family's medical issues, bills, homeschooling, our isolation problem, and things happening in the news while carrying on a conversations about completely different things with my husband and my son. My son can easily see when I am not paying total attention to what he is saying because he does this himself and he often tests me to see if I got what he was saying, but in addition to that he wants my opinion. I am usually able to tell him what he just told me but being able to formulate an opinion while juggling all the thoughts is more difficult. He is better at coming up with an opinion.

My son could also learn and carry on a conversation while playing computer games. In fact it seemed like he could pay more attention to me reading boring school things if I read to him while he played a game. He could always answer all the questions after I read to him. He is good at online games that require multitasking.

My adult daughter was always a fast learner. She has to manage multiple things at once to be good at her job in executive sales. She is a top performer because of her multitasking ability. People without excellent multitasking ability would not make it in her job.

My husband, in his job as a manager, has to multitask constantly to do his job well. His problem solving ability, outside the box thinking and ability to multitask well are the reason he got his latest promotion over people who had more education.

But I think there is a down side to my son's multitasking ability. His brain wants to keep multitasking all night long. He has trouble turning off and keeping off all of the channels.

Does everyone truly not do this? What do 'average' people do? One thought at a time? Two?

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
    Does everyone truly not do this? What do 'average' people do? One thought at a time? Two?

Zero... I've suspected most of the population is not actually conscious and another large percentage has only one thought at a time because they have only one mouth to think with. But this is just a theory.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent