Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 323 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Grinity #1538 01/05/07 06:36 AM
    W
    W
    Wow! He liked the testing process!!! Both Rite and Mite HATE HATE HATE being tested. Both psychologists noted extreme test anxiety and performance anxiety and perfectionism.

UGH!!!

I want to have the SBV done on both of them but at this point I'm having to be comfortable with knowing they are both highly to exceptionally gifted, without the numbers to prove it. chuckle.

Willa Gayle
    WG,
    I wish I could dontate DS10's numbers to Mite.
    Does is work that way? ((wink))
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #1540 01/05/07 08:37 AM
    G
    G
    I wonder why some kids hate testing and other kids love it? Do you think it has to do mostly with perfectionism and fear of failure?

DD6 still talks about how much she liked taking the Woodc*ck-Johnson reading mastery test last year, which took about 6 hours overall but was broken up into 3 sessions. She was 5 yrs, 5 mos. at the time, and even during the test when she was getting tired, she wanted to keep going. It was amusing... the tester had told her that she could stop at any time, so after awhile she'd say, "I think I want to stop now, after this page." Tester would say, "Okay, that's fine." Then DD would finish the page, peek at the next page and say, "Well, maybe just one more page." And keep doing that for five or six more pages, until finally the tester said she thought they should stop for the day.

Many times since then, DD has asked when she can go back and take more tests! Part of it, perhaps, is that she really loved the tester and had such a great rapport with her.

I think the extrovert thing is a big part of it. My son just soaks up Adult attention! Also processing speed helps - LOL

Grinity #1548 01/07/07 07:05 AM
    W
    W
    Mite's and introvert and Rite's an extrovert. Both like interacting with NICE adults, though. I'm not sure the district folks are always "nice".

I think the processing speed is a big big big issues. Both boys noted to their evaluators that the "hate timed tests", "hate being timed" and such. Rite completed all the matrices and those little block thingys on the WISC IV and Mite completed most of them, but both were outside the time limit when they did. So, processing speed really affected performance on those parts of the test. Mite's PSI was in the 6th%ile. Rite's was in the 68th%ile; so not as severe.

The funny thing is the school district's evaluators don't see that not only does the processing speed affect the PRI scores, but it probably had a profound impact on the VCI scores...especially when further impacted by slow working memory. They don't get it. Rite's ed pscyho even said that Rite answered one of the comprehension questions very thoroughly and profoundly AFTER he'd completed several other tasks. So, in other words, he continued processing THAT question while working on all the other stuff and long after the appropriate time to answer that question. She said she had to give him a "1" because of his immediate answer, but his ponderings later would have given him a higher score.

Still, she felt the test acurately measured his intelligence.

He still scored hi as did Mite, but only in the verbal sections.

The district contends they "have good vocabulary" but are just bright, not gifted, because their scores "average out".

UGH!!!

ok ok ok breath breath pant pant....oooohhhhhhmmmmmmm!!!!

:^)

Willa Gayle
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Aaaaccchhhh.....I'm so nervous! He's being tested today. I have no idea what time...he may be testing right now! I didn't prep him for this. He didn't even know it was going to happen. But it's not something that would make him nervous either...the psychologist pulling him out of class, I mean. I can't imagine the testing would bother him either as he generally LOVES tests! The only time he has said he loves anything at school is when his teacher tested him a couple of months ago. Anyway...I'm so excited about this and I just had to express it somewhere. I hope the results are right on, whatever they are. I don't care if he scores average as long as it's an accurate reflection.

Oh, I should have mentioned today is the SB-V. She said it would only take about 45 minutes? Does that sound right? Of course, there are a variety of tests to follow if he scores a 124 or higher.

Last edited by AMDStreit; 01/09/07 08:47 AM.
    Good Luck AMDSreit,
    45 minutes - LOL!
    good luck, I have been in your shoes, and Yes - do go for as vigerous a walk as you can manage, rearrange the furntiure, take a hot bath, pray, try to help someone else, or whatever you do to relieve stress. Remember - but the time he gets home, he'll be soaking up your emotions like a sponge.
    Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Grinity #1583 01/09/07 01:16 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    132 is the full scale number. She hasn't broken it down for me yet. She said last week she had never tested one that scored in the 130s or 140s. In fact she didn't even tell me the number when she first called. She just said he definitely qualified for the next round of testing (the Woodcock Johnson tests, I think). I asked her three times for the score before she gave it to me. Wonder what that was all about? And I wonder if it's an accurate number? Like I said...I don't care if it's 90 as long as it's accurate!

Anyhoo, thanks Trinity for the good thoughts!

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Woodcock Johnson today. She called and said at first she thought we had somehow gotten our hands on a copy and had our son memorize it. Can you believe that? That being said, he was scored against students who are at the end of first grade and he did not reach the 95th percentile cutoff for all areas. He was 85% for handwriting and 92% for math calculations. For reading and comprehension he was off the charts (she said she was floored and the test didn't measure up to what his true ability is). She rambled off some other areas where he did meet the 95th percentile (against the first graders) and said when all the testing is done she'll give me a complete comprehensive report.

Then she told me she is pregnant and asked me what I ate when I was pregnant with my son. LOL! I said bacon and lemons. Way too funny.

So, I must say I'm surprised he didn't score higher. I'm okay that he didn't, but I just expected him to. However, my understanding is that these tests were on academics and if he hasn't been exposed to something yet, I guess he wouldn't know it.

Do any of these tests tell us how quickly he could learn it? That's a big thing with me....if he can learn something in five minutes and never forget it, will the test show that or will he have to go through 9 months of schooling because he hadn't yet seen it when he took the Woodcock Johnson tests?

I'm rambling again.... She has already spoken with the principal and with the director of elementary education for the district and she said she expects them to recommend advancing him.

Next is the social stuff. I filled out a questionnaire today and she will interview me next week. Then she meets with his teacher and she somehow comes up with an adaptive behavior score. Then we have to meet with a first grade teacher and THEN the process should be over.

Exhausting.

G
    G
    AMD, your son is still in K, yes? If so, it's likely that he has not been exposed yet to some of the things on the test and therefore would score a bit lower.

Take Math--if the calculations used unfamiliar symbols he would be at a disadvantage. For example, when my DD6 started working on higher grade level math, there were symbols she didn't know--such as greater than, less than--because she'd never seen those before. But when we explained what they meant, she could easily solve the problems.

I doubt if any of the tests he's taking right now will show his ability to learn quickly and retain that information forever. Definitely a good question to ask the tester.

He's really doing great so far--and you too! :-) Keep us posted!

GG

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs