Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    DD was never diagnosed with SPD, but looked SPD-ish until about age 5 or 6. She is a sensory seeker, not an avoider like many gifted kids. This was manifested through a desire to scream (in fun), make crazy noises, wrestle, throw herself around, and swing and spin. She also chewed/sucked her hair. All this seemed to pretty much go away as the K year went on, such that I felt her sensory stuff seemed mostly normal by 1st, although she still loved scary rides and swings. (She's now almost 9.)

Just in the past 3-4 months I've seen this reemerge very strongly. She seems to need go outside and scream and act just totally wild (I mean, really wild, not typical kid stuff for a girl her age) for at least an hour a day. I of course let her do this, but it's a change. She's also chewing her hair again (yuck).

She has a controlling and strict teacher this year. She has really done quite well in this environment given her other challenges; I'm impressed that we have only had two notes home and no behavioral consequences administered, and she has maintained straight As. (She is at a gifted school, so straight As are no longer the cakewalk they once were.) While this is her worst year behaviorally so far, it's really a colossal teacher mismatch for her. Could SPD remanifest in response to this or other stress?

I have an OT referral for her but we felt we didn't really need it and were concentrating more on other needs.

M
    M
    If she has a strict teacher, I'm thinking that could have something to do with it (I have two BIG TIME sensory seekers). If she really has to keep it all in check while at school, that's probably why it's all coming out once she gets home?

P
    P
    It re-emerges from time to time for my dd10 - stress is one factor, and I'm thinking now that she's almost 11 (and it's re-emerging :)) that hormones might be another factor.

I sorta wish I could borrow your dd for a day and let her hang out with my dd in the backyard - my dd is basically driving the rest of us a little nuts at the moment, but she clearly needs her space to be wiggly and wild and I'm guessing she wishes the rest of us in her family were just a little bit more sensory in nature at times!

Do you think you need the OT or could you use some outlets for a while to help deal with it? We used to send our dd outside to swing swing swing when she was younger; since your dd likes to swing, could you make that a required part of her day after school? Can you let her go outside and play for 30 minutes after school every day? Can you get her a necklace or bracelet or one of the pencil-topper things to chew on?

FWIW my dd went to OT for sensory when she was 4-5 years old, but I'm not so sure it would work as well now at 10, whereas when she was younger getting her to do active things at home, or in after-school activities etc was a bit more difficult than it is now, which is why I'm thinking maybe this is something you could possibly approach outside of OT.

Best wishes,

polarbear

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I try really hard to make space in her day to play outside with her brother. It happens 4 days out of 5, I'd say (our climate is fairly temperate). I'm wondering if I need to try to make an actual sensory diet for her. We used to do joint compressions and deep pressure but weren't sure if it really helped. She loved it, but it seemed to just amp her up.

I feel worried that chewy jewelery would be socially unacceptable at her age. Do they make special pencil toppers designed to chew? That's probably better, although god knows, her teacher might forbid it.

sorta wish I could borrow your dd for a day and let her hang out with my dd in the backyard - my dd is basically driving the rest of us a little nuts at the moment, but she clearly needs her space to be wiggly and wild

c'mon over! J/k. It has sometimes been a little tricky for DD because her play needs and desires can be somewhat "boyish" (she generally considers social time a time for excitement and running around, though she also likes to play games) but she hates war play and isn't interested in organized sports. I sometimes feel like she looks pretty out of line with girls her age, but then I hang out with boys her age and she looks typical compared to them. Fortunately her BFF is very like her in terms of play style.

M
    M
    Yes! there are pencil toppers ... here are some ... you might be able to find other kinds too http://www.amazon.com/CHEW-STIXX-PE...355954841&sr=8-1&keywords=chewing+pencil

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations