Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    M
    M
    His mother, who knew him better them anyone else, did not see it coming.
    Do we know that? She can't speak to that now, and failing to prevent it from happening doesn't mean she didn't, at least to some extent, fear for her own safety or for what might happen... I think it's fair to guess that she didn't see the scope and scale of what has happened coming, but did she fear for her own safety? Who knows, maybe not, but maybe she was too scared to act in case she was unable to get help and found herself worse off...

I am nodding to everything JonLaw is saying...

Val Offline
    I agree with JonLaw about being able to spot people who need to be monitored and/or helped.

I knew a guy who ended up killing himself and his child while the police were outside his house with his wife. This guy was wound up way, way, way more tightly than anyone else I've ever met. I don't mean that he was just a really intense person. I mean that many things in his life went to extremes: he was way too intense about work, about politics, about women--- lots of stuff. I don't think he was a psychopath. Not at all. But I do think he was mentally ill and not treated (or not treated properly).

All the tv commercials for antidepressants say, "side effects include increased risks of suicide or violent behavior and are not suitable for teens or young adults."

At first we were thinking (me and the hubs) that it was that legal fake synthetic designer drugs (bath salts, fake coke, fake pot). Now the guy lived with his mother who got $300,000 a month alimony in a million dollar house I think it was more likely a side effect of some prescription meds.

Originally Posted by huffpost comments
    27 minutes ago ( 6:17 PM)
    im from sandy hook. i thought this article entitled "live update" was going to state the obvious.... both this shooter and the aurora col shooters FATHER was set to testisy in the LIBOR scandal, or how BOTH shooters and 7 out of the last 12 mass shooters were ALL on dangerous pyschotropic drugs which JAMA says kills 106,000 americans every single year. NOPE instead its more media hyperbole on non issues... what a surprise.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/adam-lanza-shot-himself-a_n_2311483.html
    (in the comments)
    http://planet.infowars.com/worldnew...nnecticut-connected-to-the-libor-scandal
    His dad helped GE pay no takes on 14 billion dollars last year.
    http://static.infowars.com/2012/12/i/general/peter_lanza_GE_capitol_father_of_shooter.jpg

Last edited by La Texican; 12/16/12 06:23 PM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    I am not saying do not medicate. I would never say that. Everybody is on a path of their own. I have seen parents looking for solutions refer to the medication merry go round, looking for the right medication that really helps without the side effects.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    U
    U
    I'm not a psychologist- but a brilliant mind, marginalized and misunderstood for a long time, combined with anger and mental illness- could that cause a person with deep rooted anger and frustration lash out against their memories of where that disturbance began?

My brain went here as well.

The police say they have found evidence of an apparent motive. I guess we'll see. TBH, I hope it's something like a thwarted love interest.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    You can often tell who is kind of prone to wackadoo things.

This guy didn't just snap. He planned and went hunting for little kids.

His mother, who knew him better them anyone else, did not see it coming.

If true, this might explain why she never saw it coming.

"The mother of the loner who massacred 26 pupils and staff at a US primary school may have played a major part in his catastrophic mental breakdown, it emerged last night.

Friends and family portrayed Adam Lanza’s mother Nancy as a paranoid ‘survivalist’ who believed the world was on the verge of violent, economic collapse.

She is reported to have been struggling to hold herself together and had been stockpiling food, water and guns in the large home she shared with her 20-year-old son in Connecticut.

Mrs Lanza, 52, was a ‘prepper’ – so called because they are preparing for a breakdown in civilised society – who apparently became obsessed with guns and taught Adam and his older brother, Ryan, how to shoot, even taking them to local ranges."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ds-say-believed-world-edge-collapse.html

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    "The mother of the loner who massacred 26 pupils and staff at a US primary school may have played a major part in his catastrophic mental breakdown, it emerged last night.

Friends and family portrayed Adam Lanza’s mother Nancy as a paranoid ‘survivalist’ who believed the world was on the verge of violent, economic collapse.

She is reported to have been struggling to hold herself together and had been stockpiling food, water and guns in the large home she shared with her 20-year-old son in Connecticut.

Mrs Lanza, 52, was a ‘prepper’ – so called because they are preparing for a breakdown in civilised society – who apparently became obsessed with guns and taught Adam and his older brother, Ryan, how to shoot, even taking them to local ranges."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ds-say-believed-world-edge-collapse.html

That's an awful lot of stress for a 20 year old kid with issues. I wonder if his actions were out of mercy - to spare his mom and those children from the end of the world? It's a long shot theory, but who knows.

I've been trying to look up if he went to Community College at 16. Google says ABC news says it. I've read it in a few comments sections. Here's how wiki worded it:

Originally Posted by wikepedia
    She had withdrawn Adam from school after "battling" with them over their unspecified "plans" for him.[69][65]

Yeah, maybe "advocating" over specific wording in "plans" might get a little tougher if people keep putting those words in quotation marks.

eta: not going to look it up tonight to see if it's true.
    It was from ABC news' link on google. I was just going to say, if he was "very, very smart" like they say and he did go to community school at 16 then I'd bet that was the least worst option in the end, not the plan.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM