hi,
this is a great thread and something i was concerned about with my DS6 but didn't realize it was an actual real thing- i'm talking the handwriting difficulties.
whenever i mentioned it to a teacher etc, i was told DS was fine, age appropriate etc,
however way back when,
yes he did receive OT, (he hasn't rec'd OT since he was 4) incl specifically for fine motor weakness specifically in the intrinsic muscles of his hand- his "palm" not his fingers.... so he didn't have strong grasp etc, and he's always had a problem with lack of pressure.

ok, since teaching him at home, i have realized he holds pencil wrong and holds his arm wrong as well. i ment'd to OT i met @ a school, who suggested use of a 'slant board' but that OT stated this didn't require OT services.
so what i am seeing with DS are mechanical issues? (arm position?)
and these are specifically signs of dysgraphia?

which i am still trying to figure out, between the dysgraphia and the DWE.
because same as others above, now i am doing language arts/writing with DS? he can read on his own, he can then discuss in depth with me what he read, showing full comprehension and retelling in his own words, and discussing other things related to what he read etc etc,
but when it comes to writing it down?
FORGET IT!
this has been beyond frustrating for me.
he keeps complaining of his hands are too tired.

he can't seem to get started past the first word.
can't seem to form a thought to put on paper, i mean- after discussing verbally- when he picks up pencil to write down- he seems to blank out.
so IS THAT descriptive then of DWE??
*DS see's a SLP for pragmatics. and his IEP specifically states just pragmatics as his Speech goal.

is there a test to specifically test for dysgraphia and DWE, to determine which he may have? would the SLP administer? or ?

i'm worried he may have a bit of both? or do they sort of overlap in areas? so maybe he is just DWE?

(i'd like him to be neither!)

i have noted also, when i just barely touch his hand, not guiding in anyway, not even applying the appropriate amt of pressure for writing, but just a very light touch, he is able to form his letters very well and with good pressure...he even seems to write the letters in the right direction! still not able to write his own thoughts though. but the mechanical issues seem to clear up.
*have any of you noted this with your own child?
also,
mumof3-
thanks so much for all the ideas to help with handwriting!
i plan to try to implement these myself!!
i have been giving him letters to trace, but he quickly complains of being too tired, again there is a lack of pressure, and even with tracing, he is not able to stay on the lines to form good letters!
and also polarbear! thanks for your explanations of what these are, i am still somewhat unclear, but i have had so much going on,
it is only NOW actually fully teaching him myself that i am learning just what an impact his writing (or lack of) is all about.

because i am still with the district doing independent study- sadly they don't accept him doing verbal answers/discussions-- where is my evidence my "support teacher" keeps asking. sheesh.

thanks for this thread. very informative smile

One can never consent to creep when
one feels an impulse to soar!
~Helen Keller