Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    cc6 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    ok, maybe that is going to far- the guru bit i mean haha
    but
    my DS6 just started with a new SLP (speech lang path) for LAS (speech services) 90min/wk (1sitting) and i was a little nervous, because

---he left a school where the SLP flat out said she didn't care about Pragmatics (social language/interaction)- all she was there was to work on articulation b/c that is what mattered in an academic setting.
    yes, artic is very important, it is important that a teacher can understand a child, but so is the ability to actually be able to communicate- give/take converstation, social cues etc, so the student CAN communicate with the teacher/peers...
    so any and all credibility she may have ever hoped to have with me, was completely blown right then and there!

moving on.
    now DS6 meets with SLP who is all about teaching pragmatics! he works off of an ipad smile
    DS is in heaven. they played an angry bird game. he was with 3 other 6/7yo's and i was able to understand them all (very few artic issues!), and it was all done in a fun and engaging way, utilizing technology & creative play!
    (they also drew stuff on each others face- via the ipad being projected to wall! so nifty!
    then DS went with SLP to return those kids to class, and came back with 2more kids age 8&9. they chatted. then they played "go fish". DS6 fit right in.

then those kids were returned to class, and DS spent the last approx 20min 1:1 working on artic issues & yup- more pragmatics!

anyways, i just wanted to share how thrilled i am. i know in previous posts Pragmatics had been a topic...& it is incredibly hard to find a good SLP to work in this area- especially in a school setting, when the district is paying for it...i am so beyond happy for my son smile

thanks for "listening"

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

C
    cc6 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    oh my goodness master!!
    your old SLP never learned about pragmatics and instead came here to cali and is currently at my son's now "old school" ;)~
    hahaaa
    oh & yes, she had same IEP "MO"!!
    except ummmm i didn't placate her!

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

I am so jealous! I am STILL looking for an SLP who focuses on pragmatics that also takes my insurance (needle in a haystack anyone?)

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM