Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    OP Offline
    Not sure if this was really a L&L approach or not, but this morning we told the girls if they could get ready for school without any of the typical morning drama (bickering, wasting time, etc.)then we would do something extra-special as a family tonight. It worked - my morning was stress free!!! Guess this confirms to us as parents that our time is worth more to our children than probably anything else. Why didn't I think of this sooner? I would gladly give them more time in exchange for less drama in the house! Now lets see how long I can get this to last.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    Guess this confirms to us as parents that our time is worth more to our children than probably anything else.

lol, too true, I guarantee DS 30 minutes of play time a night with him and I. On the odd occasion he won't listen or such, I only have to tell him I am buying back time of mine he is using now from our playtime.

Well, perhaps I'm jaded from thirteen years of life with one of these kids without any apparent levers... but at least at my house, I'd not assume that this was because I'd found her currency. Though, to be fair, I used to think that.

I'd be so hopeful when I would try something and it would.... WORK!!! (Hurray, right? Meh... not so much, actually.)

Rather, I'd probably chalk it up to "oooooo--- SHINY" since pretty much ANY new strategy that we try works. At least once, I mean-- but generally no more than three times. Almost all keys seem to be single-use with this particular child.

wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    Not sure if this was really a L&L approach or not, but this morning we told the girls if they could get ready for school without any of the typical morning drama (bickering, wasting time, etc.)then we would do something extra-special as a family tonight. It worked - my morning was stress free!!! Guess this confirms to us as parents that our time is worth more to our children than probably anything else. Why didn't I think of this sooner? I would gladly give them more time in exchange for less drama in the house! Now lets see how long I can get this to last.

Yes. The whole premise of the book Hold on to your Kids is that all the good things we want spring from what we invest in the relationship. That sounds so obvious...but it is really worth reading. I spent years thinking that I could get the desired results from a sort of behaviorist approach, telling myself that what worked for dolphins at Sea World should work on my kids. Not so much.

Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Yes. The whole premise of the book Hold on to your Kids is that all the good things we want spring from what we invest in the relationship. That sounds so obvious...but it is really worth reading. I spent years thinking that I could get the desired results from a sort of behaviorist approach, telling myself that what worked for dolphins at Sea World should work on my kids. Not so much.

Well, it does work with people, too. I know a few trainers.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Shoot-Dog-Teaching-Training/dp/1860542387

But nothing is perfect either. Animals and people have personalities and sometimes you can't reach them.

And kids are still growing so you have to adjust as they adjust.

We use the LL approach with Mr W and it works 95% of the time. The other 5% we have to resort to loss of privileges and one day we had to resort to spanking.

Last edited by Austin; 12/16/12 12:04 PM.
    OP Offline
    My copy of Transforming the Difficult Child came in yesterday. What little I've had time to read sounds similiar to parts of the L&L approach. Hopefully I can find time to finish reading it and if it sounds like something that will work for us, maybe get started implementing it over the holidays.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM