Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    I mentioned that it will be important to have the issue presented to the other kids in the classroom in the right way. Anyone have experience with this that can be helpful? A couple of weeks ago DD's para was out and the class had a written test. (2nd grade having a written test on community and government - crazy...) Rather than send DD to the resource room the teacher read DD's test aloud to her in front of the whole class. Apparently everyone then noticed that DD's test paper was different (multiple choice rather than fill-in-the-blank) and I had to answer a whole bunch of questions about her disabilities and why things are different for her. I want to avoid a repeat of this if at all possible.

Our 3rd grade teacher correctly felt that other kids were pulling away from DS because he is intense and sometimes that's scary. She discussed his disability with the other kids in the class, read them a short story about it, told them what it's called and what things are hard for him. He then was invited to tell the class some things about it. It was very positive and really helped other kids understand what's going on with him.

I would not under any circumstances allow your curent classroom teacher to do this, obviously. In the right, loving hands, disclosure can be very useful in helping children understand difference; but if the teacher's modeling hateful behavior, the other kids will learn that too.

At least an iPad is a really cool piece of technology; probably different in a good way, but still requiring handling and explanation.

DeeDee

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks for all the responses. I wouldn't qualify the teacher's behavior as "hateful" - ignorant, unsupportive, inappropriate absolutely. I have made my displeasure known to the district and have a Dept of Ed complaint drafted but haven't sent it in yet.

I am very concerned about future teacher placements and that would be a major consideration in deciding whether or not to pursue out of district placement. We requested placement in a different school in our district this summer but did not get it. Our options would really come down to the 2E school that would require DD and I to stay in New York Monday-Friday and come home on weekends, a well respected LD school a 45 minute drive away or the wonderful private we had wanted to enroll DD at before discovering all her LD issues. All would be complicated solutions, and all probably unnecessary if we had a supportive principal and teacher. Unless there are some major personnel changes, though, I don't see that happening.

To be clear I am not in any way concerned about college prep right now - we have our hands full with second grade. DD has a great spec ed teacher but I hear through the rumor mill that she is planning to retire at the end of the year. I really feel like I have done all I can to make this school situation work - we need to get the AT piece put together and then we can make some informed decisions about which direction to go. As I said in earlier posts there is really nothing more I can ask the district to do in terms of providing services. We finally have people at the district level who get it but that doesn't necessarily translate to her daily school experience. I don't know what kind of battle we would be looking at if we asked for OOD placement. They would probably be most receptive to the LD school but that is lowest on my list of preferences.

Yes this has indeed been extreme. It makes it really hard to even imagine the light at the end of the tunnel.

{big sigh}

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years