Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I think one of the most difficult issues I've encountered in advocacy is the unwillingness to accelerate/give more appropriate work at the kid's readiness level based on social reasons. "We are concerned about his social development, and if we push him, he will be negatively impacted." I would give them links to free Nation Deceived download, which has tons of studies showing no negative social impact in acceleration. http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/nation_deceived/

Another big issue is that teachers will sometimes think that a kid cannot be ready for higher level stuff if they can't _____ (write well enough, e.g.). We were told that our kiddo couldn't move up another year in math because he couldn't keep up with the handwriting. But then we transferred him to a school where he was given that higher level math, and the experienced teacher said it wasn't a problem if he couldn't write all the answers, he could show that he understood it in other ways (verbally, e.g.), and eventually his handwriting would catch up.

In my opinion, many GT kids will rise or sink to the social level they are placed in. After my kiddo skipped a grade, we heard more than once when talking about his handwriting issues "Oh, I forgot he skipped a grade."

So many things, but I think the best thing that we encountered was flexibility and willingness to try different things for these kids who are outside the norm.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by petunia
    A gifted kid is at least 2 standard deviations above normal, whereas a kid 2 standard deviations below normal is considered developmentally challenged.

Ask them if they would try to teach a kid 2 SDs below normal with the same curriculum they use for normal kids? Then, ask why it would make sense to use that same curriculum for kids 2 SD above normal?

Maybe a graph to give them a picture.

I haven't done the math to make this consideration completely accurate, but it would be nice to explain to people that there is as much variation in ability among those in the top 3% as there is in the next 47%. (Adjust the numbers for accuracy).

Ah, yes. Forgot about levels of GT. Thanks DAD22. Very important! Not all GT kids are the same.

P
    P
    Good point, DAD22, I forgot to mention that the tails are even more extreme. I didn't even realize it for my son until I saw a graphic with him on that teeny, tiny far end of right.

happyreader,

Would you please let us know what you decide to include? I'd like to see it and it might be useful for some in advocating. Good luck with it. I can't imagine having only 15 minutes for this.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    I've seen several people say that teachers think that because kids weren't eager to do "more of the same work" when they were finished that it meant they were getting enough education. Explain the concept of cirriculum compacting, that if a kid can do several of the hardest examples if a problem that you should offer them something with a different concept rather than more of the same. That's not counting review. If it's been awhile since they've seen something you can offer them a few pages for review. But try to change it up a little with some new content. This is where you can move laterrally by giving them trivia factoid content that the class doesn't cover if you don't want them getting ahead of the class.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    If this were my presentation, I'd start it out with an object lesson, by making them very, very uncomfortable. Because a gifted individual is just as different from a normal one as the normal one is to one with mental disabilities, I'd begin my presentation by lecturing to them as if they were all disabled. Once they've all begun to get frustrated and tuned out, I'd snap their attention back (dropping something heavy is pretty effective) and then let them know that the last five minutes of their lives is like what an unchallenged gifted child experiences for every moment of their school day.

Open discussion for the next several minutes, looking for responses from the audience as to how they felt and how they wanted to react which are commonly observed in gifted kids.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM