Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 247 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    Please take a minute to sign this petition in support of the TALENT act, which does not cost money, but would "require state assessments of student proficiency to be vertically scaled and capable of measuring student proficiency above the grade level in which the student is enrolled."
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ted-students-passing-talent-act/4l6t1z05

Here is some info about this Act: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/speced/2011/04/bipartisan_talent_act_would_bo.html

Please also consider sharing this on your FB page or with your state or local GT groups. Thanks!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 11/19/12 01:26 PM.
    Val Offline
    I'm confused. The article is dated April, 2011. Has something new happened?

OP Offline
    I'll try to find a more recent article... but this is a new push to get this passed, as it wasn't passed earlier. Also, the Javits bill, which had some overlaps with this, was not funded, so there's currently no federal legislation, I believe.

OP Offline
    Here is some better info:
    http://nagc.org/index.aspx?id=7804

And a more recent article:
    http://www.watg.org/7/category/all/1.html

Val Offline
    They'll fight this tooth and nail:

The Act also makes changes to the accountability and assessment system to ensure that all students make learning gains. The TALENT Act will:

• Require that state assessments are vertically aligned and able to measure student knowledge of standards established above their grade level.
    • Establish a requirement that states, districts, and schools report learning growth for their most advanced students on state report cards.

But it's always been so easy to ignore the students who get As and Bs! We don't even have to bother scheduling conferences with their parents!
    [/snark]

OP Offline
    Ya know, I am really just curious if the GT community can get 25,000 signatures to get a response from this petition. smile And I would love to hear the arguments against reporting learning growth...

B
    B
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Please take a minute to sign this petition in support of the TALENT act, which does not cost money, but would "require state assessments of student proficiency to be vertically scaled and capable of measuring student proficiency above the grade level in which the student is enrolled."

I am sympathetic to the goals of the TALENT act, but I generally don't approve of the Federal government mandating that states do things. Instead of petitioning the Federal government to compel the states, why not petition the states directly?

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I am sympathetic to the goals of the TALENT act, but I generally don't approve of the Federal government mandating that states do things. Instead of petitioning the Federal government to compel the states, why not petition the states directly?

I'm actually in agreement with you there. This isn't actually my petition, I just reposted it. I am all for getting GT issues on the radar, and if this can help with that, then all the better.

http://nagc.org/index.aspx?id=7804

Originally Posted by nagc
    Initiate a competitive research grant program to investigate the effectiveness of strategies to identify and serve gifted and talented students, including high-ability students who have not been formally identified as gifted.

Originally Posted by nagc
    Direct the Secretary of Education to collect data and report on the education of gifted and talented students to ensure that the nation's most advanced students are getting the educational supports they need to achieve at the highest levels.

This and this might actually help.
    The only thing is like some people have noticed that when a school has policies that do a little for the gifted kids sometimes they can become inflexible about offering anything different for individual gifted students. This sounds promising though because the policy it suggests is research it, look into it, see what we need to do. Sounds like as good a plan as any to get started.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    I dunno. 530 siggys? There's only just a few weeks to get 25,000. Dear Santa...

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    OP Offline
    Bump. There's a steady but slow increase in the numbers for this petition. Maybe we can get a few more folks to sign? There are just 22,000 to go by the 16th. Ha. It could happen, right?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ted-students-passing-talent-act/4l6t1z05

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM