Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Those are the questions it brought up for me, MoT, in my skim--I thought it was interesting. I was also interested in the strong WM performance of these kids across the board, since we see a lot of average-ish WM kids here. I've wondered how typical that is or if that's more common in kids whose parents find their way to this particular board. I don't have a WM score on either of my kids, but I suspect they both would do very well on the subtest. However, my oldest also exhibits some traits that can look spectrumish, including but not limited to very unusual feats of memory. This is seeming somewhat less obvious as she ages, but it's still there. For instance, the other day I said something about how she was student of the week early on last school year. She interrupted me: "I was SOtW the fifth week. Bob was SOtW the first week, Suzie was SOtW the second week, Amrit was SOtW the third week..." She went on like this for some time. I don't know if she could have done the whole year, but she seemed to know the order for at least three months or so (I cut her off after a point!) She also remembers what day of the week her birthday was on for various ages.

S
    S
    My AS child has low average WM scores (WMI 86 on the WISC). He also has wicked long term memory (147 for story recall delayed on the WJ-III, IIRC and tons of those anecdotes where he remembers details I, who also have a very, very long memory, plain forgot).

1) These (working memory and long term memory) are two completely different things. Working memory is really the processor's internal buffers and is not even that related to short term memory.

2) I haven't read the article yet but my sample of 1 argues that there is not a 1:1 relationship between WM and ASD.

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    i haven't read article YET but plan to. tmro.

in meantime, i can say that i have always believed that it is my DS6 extremely high intelligience & his need to learn, that has "pulled him out" of autism...
    at the same time, his HFA keeps him from truly standing out as the smart kiddo he is!
    i have read numerous reports on 2E identified gifted kids on spectrum falling in the cracks for this same reason. it is like somehow they even each other out? sort of...

*he is not a prodigy and he hasn't been tested, i have no idea what his WM is.

i look forward to reading this article.

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    wow.
    i couldn't wait, and barely started and NOT impressed by what i am reading. Right off they got this wrong::

"The fact that half of the families and three of the prodigies themselves were affected by autism is surprising because autism occurs in only one of 120 individuals, said Joanne Ruthsatz, lead author of the study and assistant professor of psychology at Ohio State University’s Mansfield campus."

**it was all over the news this past year--- it is 1 IN 80**

that might be 1/80 boys.
    but still, point is more kids are being dx with ASD...

~Helen Keller

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    yikes i read both links and feel they were both poorly written or maybe just not "enough substance" (i'm not a writer)

also FYI just about every person i meet shows some traits of autism, myself included!!!

however, it is having MANY as opposed to one or two traits, and meeting the criteria, that lands a child with an autism dx.

ok good night

~Helen Keller

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Yeah, you're right--WM and long-term are not the same, and I conflated them.

It's important for everyone to remember that neither of these links were written by the study authors. I read a ton of these press releases and brief clips every day; in some cases, I then read the actual journal article. In MANY cases, the press release/news piece misrepresents the actual journal article. (And I don't have a stats background, so I probably miss a lot of errors.)

S
    S
    I was about to reply that usually around here (and the Eides' blog) low WM seems to be associated with EF issues/ADD, and since there is high comorbidity of ASD and ADD...

But maybe not: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.23...83&uid=63&uid=3739256&sid=21101432668077
    (old research though).

I read another article, I can't remember if it was linked on here, or just another site, but it had to do with studying the rate of autism among the children of so-called "geeks". People with jobs that highly value systematizing. They began a fairly small study and found that the rate of autism among children of engineers was significantly higher than the general population. I think it was by Simon Baron-Cohen. If I can find the link again I'll post it.

~amy

~amy
    M
    M
    DS4 already has a PDD-NOS diagnosis from couple months ago and there will be more testing done shortly to check for Asperger's rather than the PDD-NOS and DS2.7 is awaiting a developmental screening for autism soon. While with the older one I do believe the mild autism diagnosis is probably correct (though we have seen HUGE decrease in symptoms in the last 3 weeks due to dietary changes), with the younger one who presents MORE autistic than the older one, I just still can't believe he would be autistic. I will be fine with whatever diagnosis (or lack of) we receive but the younger one is the one who does some incredible things and I am pretty sure his IQ will be way up there somewhere (not a prodigy but high). I am just afraid that we will get an autism diagnosis for a child that does NOT have it ... a child that simply prefers to run his own world the way he likes it and doesn't like people telling him that it's the "wrong" way based on "normalcy" ... he is NOT a normal child so why does majority of people expect him to do the things most children his age do? So what if he's not interested in playing with Play-Doh and at at 2.5 years old prefers to play crossword puzzle on his brother's Leappad? lol

The younger one is in Early Intervention receiving therapies based on the EI evaluations (placing him way behind in development when he was tested at 25 months) ... but fortunately he has therapists who see him for who he is and are not trying to break him. And they do agree that the early childhood screening results are way off for him (where he may be more than 1 full year behind in some area while 4-5 years ahead in other areas). so even the therapists are puzzled by him and can't wait for us to get some official testing done because as they say they have "never worked with a child like him"

Anyways, I know I am just rambling but I always wonder how many children with presumed autism are little Einsteins that fell through the cracks?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM