Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    vwmommy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    First off, after my last post on Wednesday I also got a message from the bus company that DS had been suspended from the bus again, this time for repeatedly standing up in the aisle. (He tells us that he "has to" see out the front window.)

Anyway, the meeting went better than I expected. They are going to go straight into an evaluation for an IEP and use all of the things that we have tried informally over the last year+ as the "pre referral interventions" so we're not starting back at square one. The school psychologist is going to coordinate with the private psychologist to plan his screenings/evaluations to try to speed up the process and avoid duplications.

They are going to implement some new interventions immediately, including noise cancelling headphones that he can use during individual work times or for using the restroom (a noise related phobia of his), setting up a written chart/flow sheet of appropriate things to do during choice times, a schedule so he knows what to expect for the day, and appropriate level enrichment/differentiated work to do during classroom imstruction of topics that he already knows. They are going to put the academic differentiation into the IEP as the school psych is convinced that it is part of the need relating to his problems. They all believe (and I am strongly leaning toward this as well) that he has an ASD but they have stated that whatever the final diagnosis ends up being that it is already clear that he will need accomodations so they are willing to start formalizing those now. They are also getting him set up with special ed transportation right away as well.

Needless to say, I am quite relieved. It is good to have knoweldgeable people agree that these behaviors aren't him being a 'bad kid" but that there is obviously SOMETHING wrong that he isn't able to deal with. He isn't TRYING to be disrepectful when he corrects his teacher during class he just doesn't understand that he's not supposed to. He isn't TRYING to be willfully disobedient when he stands up in the aisle in the bus, he just feels anxious when he can't see where he's going.

It's not a final answer and its not a diagnosis yet but its just nice to finally hear its not just my sweet, loving, little boy being a brat. Hopefully with a diagnosis and some ongoing education of the atff and teachers we'll start getting this worked out.

P
    P
    Wonderful news! It sounds like you are off to a great start.

M
    M
    sounds like all great news! ... and I had no idea there are special ed buses (other than for preschool kids that I know have their own little bus in our district)? I sure hope our district has one for the "bigger" kids too since my son sounds very much like yours and I am scared of next year when he'll be in Kinder and riding the same bus as 6th graders!

M
    M
    Is the school providing the noise reducing head phones or do you have to provide them?

vwmommy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yeah Mk13, it sounds like the school is going to provide the headphones. It sounds like they're going to have the transportation set up next week. I'm not sure about time frames on some of the other interventions but we should be putting the final document together around Christmas break.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations