Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 447 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    SamB12 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    My dd is in 5th grade & has an IEP coming up. She does well academically but struggles with self-regulation, organization & all things to do with executive function. They want me to come up with some goals since they think she is doing just fine. I've tried to find a list somewhere but not having any luck. Thank you!

E
    E
    Google "family advocacy resources IEP cheat sheets". Loads of accommodation ideas listed under ADHD/dyslexia dx. HTH!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by SamB12
    My dd is in 5th grade & has an IEP coming up. She does well academically but struggles with self-regulation, organization & all things to do with executive function. They want me to come up with some goals since they think she is doing just fine. I've tried to find a list somewhere but not having any luck.

This process is not supposed to work that way.

The school staff are supposed to do a detailed educational evaulation to see what the struggles are, define the educational needs in their evaluation report, and then make IEP goals that specifically address those needs, with a plan in place on how to reach those goals. It is very concerning to me that they can't come up with goals-- they should be the ones who have helped identify the problems. There is no point in doing this "generically"-- the goals have to be tied to the specific needs of the individual student.

Can you get a board-certified behavior analyst to go in and take data on what the problems are? IEPs are supposed to be data-driven. If they are not taking data, they are not doing this properly. Having data helps show where the problems are and, crucially, helps you track progress on the goals.

I would recommend the wrightslaw.com website and their book, From Emotions to Advocacy, which describe this process.

DeeDee

P
    P
    I'll second everything DeeDee said. Has your dd been through an IEP eligibility process? Did the school do any kind of in-class observations and testing?

What was the driving factor behind the IEP process - did the school originate it or did you as the parent request it? Have their been any kind of RTI (Response to Intervention) accommodations/etc made in class that haven't worked?

polarbear

ps - when you're looking at what *you* think your child needs, it may help to look at lists online etc, but the best thing to do is to look at how your specific child is functioning and think through what will help them and what types of goals you want to see them achieve, then compare your goals to curriculum goals.

Last edited by polarbear; 10/30/12 10:32 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs