Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    cc6 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    hi,
    my DS6 has upcoming IEP, he's HFA,
    wondering re tests?

he recently took a very simple math test- w/o my knowledge,but of course i would have agreed, and apparently he was unaware he was taking a test himself.
    he scored 21/24, doesn't seem so bad except the entire class scored 24/24. only a handful of kids in his class can do simple addition, most can't count to 30 or identify the #s.

*this is important b/c he has been verified gifted and is way ahead in reading/LA/math, and completely bored w/ kinder BUT he has now given teacher an example of WHY he does NOT need differentiation.

i am trying to have him moved to 1st grade this jan '13, but this isn't helping.
    i am wondering if i need to ask for something in his newIEP to help with test taking.
    even just to be made very aware it is a test and importance of paying attention and focusing etc, important for all class to know, yes- but my DS6 when in group setting doesn't always "hear" what others hear, possibly a processing thing? but also his pragmatics, if he doesn't hear something correctly, he doesn't know to ask for clarification and just typically wings everything-- he usually has always been able to figure things out this way--- (this is where his smarts have helped him with/overcome autism!) BUT in tests- he cannot use this method effectively.

any help?
    thank you smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

A
    A
    Sorry, what is HFA?

D
    D
    "High-Functioning" Autism.

D
    D
    As I mentioned in the other IEP thread this morning, you need data to support your claims in the conversation about the IEP. All those decisions should be driven by evidence. The school is supposed to be keeping data on every IEP goal to show progress; and any new goal or support introduced should be backed by data that tell what is happening now and why it needs to be addressed.

DeeDee

J
    J
    It's difficult to know about testing accommodations. It's so hard to tell at this early grade since they don't have alot of tests, really, at this point.
    We have had in our IEP that our son can have extended time for testing, but he has never used it. We have taken the approach that ideally, we want him to be able to take tests under the usual timed conditions. With practice, he has gotten much faster on timed tests- he aced the OLSAT, SCAT, and our local STAR tests.
    The problem, IMHO, with getting testing accommodations into the IEP is that if your child could ultimately get better at timed tests with practice, they will likely not be given that opportunity in school since that would violate the IEP.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by cc6
    i am wondering if i need to ask for something in his newIEP to help with test taking.
    even just to be made very aware it is a test and importance of paying attention and focusing etc, important for all class to know, yes- but my DS6 when in group setting doesn't always "hear" what others hear, possibly a processing thing? but also his pragmatics, if he doesn't hear something correctly, he doesn't know to ask for clarification and just typically wings everything-- he usually has always been able to figure things out this way--- (this is where his smarts have helped him with/overcome autism!) BUT in tests- he cannot use this method effectively.

I would work hard to remediate the autism; the issues you identify are both social (knowing what's expected of him) and organizational (knowing to follow directions and ask questions). These are all basic skills that you want to be building in all areas of his life.

Giving accommodations on tests will just conceal whether or not he's making progress on those goals.

DeeDee

Not a bad idea to know that this IS an area that needs remediation/supports, though.

I just think that (like the others) it may be wiser to intentionally make any accommodation one that fosters eventual fading of the accommodation.

Those are trickier to word and implement, but focusing on goals and keeping things measurable in terms of PROGRESS toward better awareness/recognition and self-advocacy should be something to aim for each year. KWIM?

Such a thing might involve, at younger ages, having a proctor who knows to specifically ASK whether or not your DS has heard and completely understood directions.... whether he has any questions about what to do, etc.

Prompts and opportunities for self-advocacy are a good IEP goal in a lot of cases.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs