Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #141634 10/27/12 10:14 AM
    L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Our family learned yesterday that the painful scoliosis bracing, isolation, and lack of sleep that my 14-year-old son has gone through for the last three years of his life was not enough to stop the progression. Now we are looking at a very difficult surgery, five days in the hospital, and months of recovery. My son does not want to go through the surgery. We both have white coat syndrome and our blood pressure goes up when we see or think about seeing a doctor. He has to go through additional testing to see if his hypotonia is caused by something that might cause complications. This adds to the stress.

Although we homeschool, anxiety about medical issues makes it difficult to learn.

Back surgeries are pretty unpleasant, that's for sure.

{{hugs}} Lori.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Sorry to hear that the trial with the brace didn't work, but maybe the surgery will give some lasting relief and better prospects for the future. We have a friend who tried all other options before surgery, and it was a real success for her. She is now a mother of two and can do just about everything she wants. I'm hoping for the same result for you all! Keep us posted.

P
    P
    Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that the brace didn't produce the desired outcome and that you have all this uncertainty to deal with now. I've seen lots of posts from you over the last year or so that I've been reading that document just how much of a strain that brace has been to him and how resolute he's had to be -- it must be so difficult as a parent to see him not benefit for having gone through all of that.

When they ask about pain level don't forget about C, the chronicity constant. It's a little known constant, the sum of how long it's been going on + number of past failed treatments + number of stupid comments recently made by well meaning people (such as myself). You take the physical discomfort level at that moment, and multiply it by C for the actual discomfort level. smile

All attempts at humor aside: I feel like I've gotten to know you and your son just a bit reading all your posts, please take my heartfelt wishes for his surgery to come up very soon and then be over with and for it to do what it's intended to do.

Polly

E
    E
    I'm sorry, Lori. My boss' son just had surgery for scoliosis, and my understanding is that he is doing much better now. I hope that your son will have a similarly good outcome.

M
    M
    sorry it didn't work out frown. There isn't much we can say to help you and him right now. Wishing you and your son a lot of luck and strength!

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Oh Lori, I'm so sorry that you and your son are going through this difficult time, I am sending positive thoughts and prayers for strength your way. I totally identify with the white coat syndrome, I am not a stranger to passing out in medical/dental situations(!).

Just a thought, have you ruled out chiropractic treatment as an alternative option? That worked very well for my brother but he was younger, I think 11 years old when he and my mom chose a course of chiropractic treatment over the brace, and I don't know how severe his case was compared to your sons case. It took a couple years of regular chiropractor adjustments, special exercises and nutritional supplements but my brother came through it just fine.

wishing you both the best of luck for a speedy and safe solution,
    Nik

B
    B
    So Sorry to hear this. Maybe you can think of it as, the surgery will soon be over and you will soon be on the other side looking back at this with such relief that it is over. sending positive good wishes.

I hope he's brave. He's already been brave to use the brace like he's supposed, maybe the surgery will be over sooner. hugs 'n' good wishes.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM