Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 33 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 32 33
    E
    E
    They just changed it this year with the current edition, but 2011 was still a little too late to be having this question in a math textbook for elementary-aged kids who can't remember a time without call waiting and cell phones...

(Answer options are general probability terms of certain...impossible...likely...unlikely...etc.)

What is the probability of getting a busy signal while making a long-distance phone call?

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    What is the capital of Alaska?

Seems straight forward enough but when my DH as a third grader stood by his answer Juneau, my in laws were called in for an after school meeting to discuss his stubbornness. The teacher thought it was Willow.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ec_bb
    (Answer options are general probability terms of certain...impossible...likely...unlikely...etc.)

What is the probability of getting a busy signal while making a long-distance phone call?

I am completely confused. Are phone numbers more or less prone to busy signals if you're calling from outside a certain area?

What number am I calling here? Is it a government agency without a menu-driven system (not that they exist these days, but say, the IRS on April 14)? Or my sister when she's not home? The probability of a busy signal is very different for those two numbers in those two situations. It is not, as far as I'm aware, dependent on how far away I am from the phone I'm calling.

I am so not overthinking this one.

I think I would just write "Yes" to this question and move on.

Last edited by Val; 10/22/12 07:59 PM. Reason: Clarity
    L
    L
    Ok, a new one already! What a week we are having!

Bryan has three $60 bills. Which expression shows how much money he has?
    A. 60/3
    B. 60-3
    C. 60+4
    D. 60x4

??? First of all, where does Bryan live that he has $60 bills? Apparently, it is a world or dimension in which it is not necessary to actually include the correct answer in the multiple choice options. Sigh, I just told him to write in the correct answer.

Whoahhh... that one's a doozy in several ways, yes.

I think that the answer must be A.

It's obvious. This is a place with funny money. Why not funny math operations, too?

wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    What the...??

Z
    Z
    And how many kids right on the brink of thinking they understand math have permanently given up that idea after reading this problem. What's the chance a teacher would discuss the flaw to improve kids confidence.

My favorite bit of advocacy:
    Teacher: "Your child has been correcting me in class."
    My Mom: "Well, were you wrong?"

U
    U
    I sort of hate to laugh, but I can't stop cracking up about the three $60 bills. $60 bills! How is this for real?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ec_bb
    Kevin is using wooden rods to make picture frames. The length and width of one picture frame and the length of one wooden rod are shown below:

(diagram of a rectangle with dimensions of 10 inches and 8 inches marked, and a single wooden rod marked with a length of 48 inches)

1) What is the perimeter, inches, of the picture frame?
    (straight forward -- no complaints there)

2) How many wooden rods does Kevin need if he makes 4 picture frames like the one above?

Well, the only answer they gave credit for was 3 -- perimeter x 4 divided by 48.

I wonder how many kids did the calculation you explained to arrive at 3, and how many checked to see whether or not you could actually cut 8 10" pieces and 8 8" pieces from 3 48" rods. It turns out you can (if you ignore losses due to the width of your saw blade and sanding... which would require you to use 4 rods in the real world). At least the question authors got that much right.

Originally Posted by DAD22
    I wonder how many kids did the calculation you explained to arrive at 3, and how many checked to see whether or not you could actually cut 8 10" pieces and 8 8" pieces from 3 48" rods. It turns out you can (if you ignore losses due to the width of your saw blade and sanding... which would require you to use 4 rods in the real world). At least the question authors got that much right.
    I was curious, and did it too-- 10 10 10 10 8, 10 10 10 10 8, 8 8 8 8 8 8. And I had the same thought about widths of the cuts. laugh

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 6 of 33 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs