Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #140584 10/16/12 07:28 PM
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    DD 22 months qualified for speech therapy today through our local early intervention program. We also fixed her lip and tongue ties today. I hope this helps her!

Do any of you know how to interpret the scores on the Battelle inventory? And is it related to IQ in any way? That's what they did today.

Online Content
    Wish I knew IofA -
    http://www.riversidepublishing.com/products/bdi2/index.html

there seems to be some cognitive component.

Good luck with DD22m - I hope this helps her.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    P
    IofA, I think my dd was given the Batelle when she was evaluated by our school district at 3 years old. I can't remember the name of the test with certainty, but I took a quick look online at Batelle and it looks very similar. There was a small cognitive part of the test, but it wasn't anywhere near as detailed as the IQ tests that are given to older children, and I wouldn't think you could draw any significant conclusions about IQ from it, other than if a child did poorly it would raise a flag of concern.

I don't know if it will help to know anything about my dd's experience, but fwiw our school district first holds a screening, then refers children who don't pass the screening for the full eval (which I think was the Batelle... but otoh... the first screening also included cognitive ratings in addition to gross and fine motor, social, etc.). DD did extremely poorly on the screening cognitive - it was all visual ids of objects, and we didn't realized it at the time, but she had severe double vision, which caused the very low score. She was referred for the full eval based on her screening cognitive score, and she sailed through her screening and scored ahead of age level on some of the cognitive - but she was also working with two very outgoing perky teachers who kept her moving a mile-a-minute. I don't remember the results of the cognitive test well enough to tell you if it correlates with later IQ testing, but I remember enough of the report and the testing to think that the evaluators had totally missed testing the cognitive area that was a concern to us at the time.

Good luck with speech therapy!

polarbear

U
    U
    DD8 was given this at age 3 when she was assessed for large motor delay and ASDs by EI. I don't remember a lot about it, except that she scored very high on it and they were gushing about her skills. I feel like she had to ID pictures and shapes and that sort of thing.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    DD scored what seems to be average on the cognitive / play component. It seems odd to me... they were reassuring me when she started missing stuff because we were in "4 year milestones, but we have to keep going until she misses two in a row."

I know she also lost points because they wanted her to "find" a hidden object in someone's hand 4 times in a row and she was acting like.. "No, I already did it twice. Next thing."

They acted really surprised / impressed that she was doing things like 25 pc jigsaws by herself and they said that she was doing some pretty advanced things.. so I don't get how the cognitive / play area is calculated. It makes no sense that "average" would be a child doing things children 2 years older do.

Today is Day 1 without ties and I already got her to try to say Mommy, Egg, and a few other words. "Dora" was the only word that came out sounding pretty clear and correct. But she's trying! I can tell her tongue is really hurting her.

Last edited by islandofapples; 10/17/12 04:07 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM