Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #139632 10/03/12 10:56 PM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    For those of you who have an IEP, I have a question-
    if you find something new that you would like added to the IEP during the school year, how do you do that? Do you have to have another IEP meeting or can it be added via email consensus?
    My son is hearing impaired and has an IEP for that. As usual, the teacher doesn't really believe that (although he wears a hearing aid!) since he is so bright and verbal.
    Anyway... She gives the spelling and vocab words in class only 2-3 days before the test. He still does well, but it would help if we could get the words a week before and have time to go over them at home. He is obviously a visual learner, and spelling words are tougher for him since he is hearing impaired.
    How can I get that added into the IEP? Thanks for any advice!

jack'smom #139633 10/04/12 02:11 AM
    P
    P
    This may be something you can address without changing the IEP if the teacher is reasonable. I would start by asking her directly - she may be willing to just agree to do this. If not I would contact the director of your team and ask for the modification. We have had a number of things added without a formal meeting. As long as there is consensus the IEP coordinator just writes it up and we sign off on a paper indicating that we agree to the change without a meeting. If they don't agree then request a meeting to amend the IEP. You can do this at anytime.

jack'smom #139637 10/04/12 04:32 AM
    A
    A
    Last year was a rough one for my son, and we started with the teachers but explaining what wasn't working, why it wasn't working, and what we thought would resolve the problem. For some, that was all that was needed. For a couple, it was like we'd thrown down the gauntlet. The only remedy was going to the Special Ed Chair and asking for a meeting. She was very supportive and wrote out an IEP addendum on the spot. We signed, she signed, she had the principal sign, and it was part of the IEP.

Hope this helps.

jack'smom #139748 10/05/12 06:03 AM
    E
    E
    My personal favorite way of accomplishing that sort of thing is to email the teacher and the case manager and say "Herschel is having difficulty with XXXX. I believe that YYYY would be of great help to him. It seems to be a fairly low-impact accommodation, so I wasn't sure if this required calling a full IEP update meeting. What is the preferred procedure?"

Since our school staff would generally rather gnaw off their arms than call an IEP meeting (especially since ours have taken anywhere up to three and a half hours), we get a lot handled through less-official channels.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM