Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi all. Thanks for all your previous advice and encouragement.

We had a short notice IEP meeting to day to sign papers. The whole team did not meet, but we got a lot done. It was a professional development day for our teachers, so over the course of a few hours I met with most of the pertinent school personnel: the Special Ed coordinator and resource room teacher (who is also a trained psychometrist) and the school psychologist.

The school psychologist had previously had us fill out MANY rating scales. All the ones designed to identify ASD traits did. The DSMD, GADS and CARS all indicated autism in both the parent and the school ratings scales. He said there is no doubt DGS7 has Asperger's. We were expecting it, but it is still sobering to see it confirmed in several ways.

The school psychologist ruled out ADHD. He said it is a common comorbidity, but the attention/impulsivity and conduct issues he saw in his observations were more typical of ASD and sensory problems than true ADHD.

So, we got a pretty standard IEP for our school for his behavior, as his IQ, while not Davidson level, is above average and so were his WIAT-II scores. Then I expressed the concerns I had about missing recess and counseling and DGs needing a 4-day school week in order to get his multiple therapies done and the school modified the IEP on the spot to make sure that he has his therapy day off without penalty, that he will see the school counselor twice a week, and it will not be during his recess time.

Also, he will have, at his discretion as well as the teacher's, the right to go to the resource room, which is designed for kids with sensory issues to "calm down" or just to "get away" from the noise, confusion, etc of the regular classroom. With his achievement and IQ scores the special needs personnel don't feel it will hurt his academics to have time outs. I agree whole heartedly. The teacher in the resource room is also willing to work with him one-on-one when in her room when the stress makes it hard to get his work done.

We are going to modify the IEP again in a couple weeks when the OT gets her report and recommendations ready. Dysgraphia is a real possibility in addition to the sensory issues, and there is nothing to address this in his current IEP, but the school said we can have a full team meeting when everything is ready and make whatever changes are necessary. This meeting was really just to get everything in an enforceable document so DGS can begin his accommodations for the anxiety and give the counselor and principal some backup on the no recess if he has counseling issues and to make it easier for the counselor to pull DGS out of class if it is necessary.

Thanks again and keep your fingers crossed. Things are moving and I am encouraged.

leahchris

P
    P
    GREAT JOB leahchris!

I know how stressful this has been for you. It sounds like you will have a much better time of it moving forward now. Although it is hard to see the dx in writing, confirmed, it also can serve as a sobering message to the teachers working with kids like ours. No, he is not "trying" to be difficult - he has Aspergers. No, he is not "trying" to miss school - he needs to receive services or calm his sensory issues. Hopefully what you have outlined here will make a big difference for your DGS. It is great that it was handled this way - it means that no one wants a repeat of what happened to him last week. You made your point and the school responded amazingly efficiently. Good, good news!

E
    E
    It sounds encouraging!
    One small word of advice: even the very best IEPs need tweaking as time goes on, especially in the first year or two. It's a normal part of the process-- because of course the whole point of a plan is progress, which necessarily means change. When that happens, don't feel discouraged, and don't feel like "well, I asked for this, and now I don't want it, they're going to be a pain". If something needs tweaking, or even outright changing, just let the appropriate people know, and let them know if you have questions or clarifications or suggestions (in writing/email, preferably). As long as everybody stays calm and polite, it won't be a big deal.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    A
    A
    Wow - sounds like everyone is pulling in the same direction. Glad it went well, and kudos to you for advocating so well for your kiddo.

D
    D
    Congratulations, Leahchris! You are making real headway. I expect that great opportunities for growth for your DGS will follow.

DeeDee

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM