Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Does offering more explanation increase the chances they will adopt it?

LOL I have no idea! That's my assumption - i.e., I have to 'back-up' what I want to change with a strong argument as to why it is necessary. But, never having done this before anywhere, I really have no idea. I just assume that is how our world works in general - I am just opertating on that premise because, well, that is how it works in the law!

In your school system, if one person made wording changes, I don't know, would the rest of the team get upset or would they just accept it?

Again, I have no idea how it works! Hopefully, I'll get some leeway in how they see me (i.e., whether they get offended by me) as they know this is our first time doing this.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    And on that note, any plans to begin learning keyboarding?

Well, that is a bit of problem too - because of his vision. His visual-motor integration is very poor so he is bad at the keyboard. He still can't dial a phone - eg he thinks he is hitting an 8 but is hitting the number next to it over and over and just can't get it. Same with keyboard. It's his poor visual sequencing and tracking skills. However, vision therapist says that is improving. I realize when you learn to type you learn by not looking at the keyboard but I personally don't see DS being able to do that this year at all. And he has got enough on his plate or I would try maybe typing class or something.

We do have dictation software (the dragon one) we just got it and haven't started it yet.

FWIW I do believe his handwriitng will continue to improve and he'll be relatively fine. Eventually. The combination of vision therapy with the OT has made everyhting really take off. Really. However, he is still well over a year behind his peers (almost two years actually) on his fine motor and even more on his visual motor integration.

And he will be able to keyboard I am sure in the coming years.

Last edited by marytheres; 10/01/12 09:22 AM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I do think IEPs are somewhat focused on fading support and such, but in this case, you are looking at a continuum of growth. Kids hopefully move from scribe and oral at a young age to eventually (assuming handwriting doesn't take off) typing on their own or using dictation software so that they are independent. If he has the ability to make that transition, he will once those skills develop. These are accommodations that grow with him rather than supports and education that are supposed to get her up to grade level and then be dropped.

Hmmmm good point and very true.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Okay I sent it. I changed the format to be more bullet format but the content is the same. I mean, from my research, these accomodations that I am requesting are very, very standard for DS' disability. It's not like they are getting hit with "out there" requests from us. It took a lot of work and time on my part and they really should have done this themselves. - at least some of it. I left the word vague, because their accomodations really are just that - vague.

I never got the formal invite and the draft IEP before the meeting (I just got it today in the mail). I did get the school psych report regarding the IEP (it looks like authorizing the IEP and making recommnedations). The actual draft IEP I never received before the meeting (which they knew); so, the first time I was looking at it was right then. That's why DH and I were not more prepared and more able to debate and discuss it.

I got a response back relatively quickly form the Ass Dir of Special Ed that simply said:

"Mr. & Mrs. ______,

I will look into the board certification for Dr. S----. The team will review your requests and get back to you both. It was a pleasure seeing you again. I am glad that [DS] has had such a wonderful transition to first grade. "

Seems fine to me. I am not signing until this is ironed out and I assume they realize that. I responded to the Ass. Dir. with a "Great! Thank you so much!"

I guess we will see. I am thinking we will at least get something more specific than the way it is now. Hopefully, we'll get all of it! But they must realize it really should be more specific.

Oh and the other part of the IEP that is weak, imo, is "goals" - we have one goal from the OT... That's it. I am not as concerned about that because I just want to see DS get his accomodations... But I am not sure if that will be a problem in the future.

Last edited by marytheres; 10/01/12 01:00 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Just a quick update.

Special Ed Asst. Dir. called me. She included the "time and a half" for tests as I requested (made it "up to time and half" which I was totally fine with basically if he finishes and he doesn't need all of that time then he finishes and doesn't need it ). But she is fussing at the scribe and/or allowing oral answers accomodations... Her suggestions are "have DS ask for help," and have him tell the teachers/monitors when he is tired/fatigued, etc., which, for reasons previously discussed in this thread, I don't think is the way to go. (And I am kind-of disappointed that she would suggest something like that - I thought she'd have more understanding). She then said she thinks he's been doing a great job speaking up for and advocating himself lately so she's sure it would be okay to put the burden on him. (sigh). I still said "thanks nice to hear but no" to that. Her next argument was that she has been hearing that "he's been doing so well he really doesn't need these accommodations." She argued that he recently had an assessment (name of tests began with a "D" and it was a 'local assessment' - not sure what it was but it isn't given again till next year at the start of 2nd grade) and he scored like 14 out 20someting writing the test himself without any help or being allowed to answer orally and they all acted like he scored sooooo HIGH and this is proof he doesn't need a scribe or alternate/oral output. But I just wonder how well would he have done had he not had to write? I KNOW how much processing time and energy his having to write chews up. Again, I am disappointed that she would attempt this argument. I came back by pointing out it has been well-documented that he has hypotonia and struggles a great deal with fine motor as a result and it is obvious from doc reports and OT evals and the problems we had last year that he does indeed need accommodations (thanks again for the great advice onthis thread I was kind of ready with that answer). I mean, I love hearing how well he is doing (and he is imrpoving, I can see) but, really, the reality is at the OT eval two months ago he was still almost TWO years behind his peers in fine motor/writing skills (I mean is that a lot or am I crazy? seems like a lot to me!). That's so much, imo, and I pointed that out. I have also seen the effect writing has on him with the WISC and when he does homework. Her last argument was that these accomodations don't pertain to first grade b/c all of the assessments one takes in first grade he has already done (then why is she even arguing on the first place, I wonder? And why give me the itme and half, then? and I was told he gets a test in February to screen for the gifted program) so I "shouldn't even be worried about this stuff." I pointed out then it will be in place for next year. And she said 'well we re-do next year we can put them in then.' But it's October now and we still don't have an iep for this year, that means that next year this IEP that we are writing right now will be the one to govern until a new one takes over and so yes I want the accommodations in this one. And that s what I said.

Sigh.

I explained all that I typed here about how I'd rather start off supporting and not sitting back and waiting for him to deteriorate etc etc etc.

The converation was pleasant don't get me wrong. And I hung up thinking I would get most of what I want. She said she is re-drafting and will email with wording closer to what I want and see if I am comfortable with that. She said we'll work it out and get it more specific and she understands where I am coming from .

But, I am a bit disappointed that she made the types of arguments that she did against the accommodations. Just left me with the impression that her job really is to push for as little accommodation as I, the parent, will let her get away with. And that made me sad - made her and the school seem a bit disingenuous to me.

Last edited by marytheres; 10/02/12 01:10 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    MON, thank you so much. That is exactly what is going on! Thank you for breaking it down for me. Love the parapelic analogy.

This is the fundamental problem I run into all of the time in one way or another with DS disabilities. Hypontonia and the vision disorder are hidden disabilities for the most part... they are real but invisible. People, including teachers, aids, psychologists eve, simply do not understand or truly 'see' them. No matter how much I tell people about them, they have a hard time really grasping that DS has an actual physical weakness that other children (that do not have the disability) do not have. It is ignored and not understood and often not accommodated for which leads to all sorts of anxiety and problem behaviors. I don;t understand how many times this has to be explained to educators before they truly 'get it.' And I do not beleive they are at all malicious - it is like they just have this 'mental block' to it.

Anyway, I love how you lay out the disablity vs. grade level/iep. I will probably need it and use it in future dealings...so thank you! I'd love to write out an email and explain it to her right now, but I will wait and see what she comes back with, I suppose... I just feel compelled to educate them because they really need it and I'd like them to truly understand. YKIM? I guess we'll see what she comes back with!

K
    K
    My DD10 does not have an IEP but she does have a 504 for dyslexia/dysgraphia. Like your child, her struggles are often misunderstood and staff thinks that we are a bit crazy to characterize her struggles as a disability. We found that the school readily agreed to extra time but pulled out every excuse possible not to allow for a scribe and/or a reader for standardized tests.

Unofficially, I learned from a staff person that it is a space/staffing issue. Currently, they group all of the kids who need extra time into one room with one proctor for state testing. That proctor is not allowed to speak with the kids outside of a set script. Allowing my kid to have a scribe/reader would mean extra staff in an extra room. In tough budget times, they will not agree to this without a fight. You may have something similar going on in your school/district.

Also, although we all want the best for our kids, remember under IDEA you are entitled to an "appropriate" not the "the best" or a "maximum potential" education. You may want to review this Wrightslaw article on FAPE versus Best: http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/fape.notbest.htm

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks Knute!

Also, although we all want the best for our kids, remember under IDEA you are entitled to an "appropriate" not the "the best" or a "maximum potential" education. You may want to review this Wrightslaw article on FAPE versus Best: http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/fape.notbest.htm

Yes, I know.

Allowing my kid to have a scribe/reader would mean extra staff in an extra room. In tough budget times, they will not agree to this without a fight. You may have something similar going on in your school/district.

Yes, I think that is what is going on here. Although it annoys me because as I have said before we are in a very wealthy district. I pay an absolute colossal amount in school taxes alone (over ten grand per year). So I am not going to go quietly. I will fight for this. This district is known for being a good district for special needs (albeit their big emphasis is on autism and autism spectrum disorders). I believe if I can get this anywhere it will be here!

I do have good documentation of his condition (CHOP neurologist) and several reports documenting him almost two years delayed in fine motor skills. I am hoping that is good enough amunition if they are gonna keep pulling this "he doesn't really need the accomodations stuff."

Last edited by marytheres; 10/03/12 11:51 AM.
    P
    P
    O
    EQUAL access to curriculum via ADA (rather than appropriate). Equal is in comparison to peers. Regardless of whether the curriculum/education is appropriate or inappropriate (lol).

I don't have the link at the moment, but there is a letter on the wrightslaw website which addresses the issue of what is "appropriate" for gifted students with respect to FAPE.

polarbear

P
    P
    marytheres, I haven't got time at the moment to reply to everything I'd like to comment on with respect to the follow-up you've had from the school district. I agree with what mon and knute have added.

We were always met with a ton of resistance over scribing, even though we did ultimately get the accommodation written into our ds' IEP accommodations for fluency tests. I am sure the issue was time/staff limitations and I totally understand that. I just want to give you a thumbs-up for the advocacy you've done so far and an encouraging hug to keep going - it's not going to be over once you have the IEP in place, most of us have found that we are still advocating for quite some time - making sure teachers understand why the IEP and accommodations are necessary, making sure accommodations are followed, getting ready for next year's IEP update. It's definitely a journey. A journey that happens to be keeping me unusually busy this week in particular... hence not much time to reply in detail.

Hang in there!

polarbear

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM