Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #139108 09/27/12 07:11 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    We have DS' IEP meeting tomorrow. Wish us luck! I got donuts and muchkins and have iRecorder installed on my phone to record the meeting. Any last minute advice? I am nervous but I anticipate it will go well!

J
    J
    You should tell them tht you re recording the meeting. It cn be illegal in some states without permission.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh yes, of course. I plan to tell them. Should I not record it at all? Maybe I shouldn't - may make people uncomfortable...

F
    F
    The usual practice is to take good notes and then send an email or letter summarizing the points covered and confirming the action plan with a request for correction. Recording could imply a lack of trust and make your participants worry about how they sound rather than focusing on the meeting.

I suppose if you explained it in some benign way, like you have difficulty taking notes and asking questions but you want to make notes later, that might help. Everyone will be more relaxed and natural without a recording though.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I do have trouble taking notes and our babysitter for our little one fell through so he will be there and a distraction at the meeting. Having said that, so far these people have been very cooperative, etc. so I really don't anticipate any problems. I was going to say I just have trouble taking notes and then wondering what everyone said, etc... it's just easier for me to record. One of the reasons we are doing the IEP is becasue of all the trouble DS has writing, I was gonna joke that it runs in the family and that's why I like to record meetings and such.

I guess I'll just play it by ear and see how I feel and what the feeling is once we get there.

D
    D
    Pete Wright says to tape it. (and im my book his word is golden!) Aside from actually having a tape, it can...inspire some people to be slightly more cooperative than they would otherwise be. Good luck!
    http://www.wrightslaw.com/advoc/tips/palmer.meeting.tape.htm

D
    D
    It is perfectly fine to say "could I record the meeting? That will free me up to not take notes."

They may ask for a copy of the recording.

In our maximum-conflict days, we found that people did become noticeably more agreeable with a recorder running.

DeeDee

I should hire myself out as a "legal presence" at these meetings.

"I will attend if you give me coffee and doughnuts," I will say.

It would be a limited arrangement, where I just have to sit there and look attoreyish.

The retainer agreement would be clear that I wasn't there to take notes, or even pay any attention to what was going on.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    In our maximum-conflict days, we found that people did become noticeably more agreeable with a recorder running.

LOL this alone is worth doing it for, even if you never listen to the recording wink

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I should hire myself out as a "legal presence" at these meetings.

"I will attend if you give me coffee and doughnuts," I will say.

It would be a limited arrangement, where I just have to sit there and look attoreyish.

The retainer agreement would be clear that I wasn't there to take notes, or even pay any attention to what was going on.

This is funny, but it actually works to have someone sitting there looking attorneyish. All the participants are on their best behavior. Having a recorder sitting in the middle of the table works, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM