Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #131153 06/03/12 06:50 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/education/in-best-high-schools-lists-numbers-dont-tell-all.html
    In Lists of Best High Schools, Numbers Don’t Tell the Whole Story
    By MICHAEL WINERIP
    New York Times
    Published: June 3, 2012

What schools score highest on Newsweek’s index? Of the top 50, 37 have selective admissions or are magnet schools, meaning they screen students using a combination of entrance exam scores, grade-point average, state test results and assessments of their writing samples.

In short, to be the best, high schools should accept only the highest performing eighth graders, who — if the school doesn’t botch it — will become the highest performing 12th graders.

Put another way: Best in, best out, best school.

Eight of Newsweek’s top 50 are charter schools. For those who think an important role of public education is taking struggling students and raising their academic performance, this sounds promising. Charter schools are supposed to accept any child who applies. If the school is oversubscribed, there is to be a lottery.

What could be more democratic?

The two top charter schools on the Newsweek list are the Basis high schools in Scottsdale and Tucson, part of an Arizona-based charter chain.

According to the Basis Web site, the curriculum is heavily reliant on A.P. and college-level courses, and it includes Mandarin and Latin.

This means that only the strongest academic students need apply, and those who can’t cut it will leave.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    H
    H
    I personally hate these rankings. My DH teaches at one of these "best of the best" schools and in my opinion the school is highly dysfunctional.

There is a pervasive attitude that the kids have to be perfect. They have to take a full schedule of all AP courses, which leaves them little to no room to explore other interests, electives, arts or anything else that might develop their human side, as opposed to just their intellect. Anything less than perfect grades = failure. The kids are pushed into extra tutoring, test prep courses and even athletic trainers so that they can be the best. (Yes, at sports, too!)

Although some students thrive in this atmosphere, many others do not. Over the years, DH has had several of his students hospitalized for what would have been called in the old days a "nervous breakdown." Some of their parents even came to the teachers and asked for assignments to be brought to the hospital so their kids wouldn't fall behind. Can you imagine? The pressure to be perfect also leads to cheating and a whole lot of begging for points once grades come out. Parents will come in and insist that their kids deserve a higher grade than they earned.

Of course, that part doesn't make the newspapers . . .

Are there a lot of incredible opportunities at the school? Absolutely! Would I send my own kids there? I'm not so sure. That's something we discuss at home often. Are the opportunities worth the potential cost?

IMHO, there has to be a better way of judging a school's worth than the formulas in the newspaper.

Last edited by happyreader; 06/04/12 05:11 AM. Reason: I hate typos.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by happyreader
    I personally hate these rankings. My DH teaches at one of these "best of the best" schools and in my opinion the school is highly dysfunctional.

There is a pervasive attitude that the kids have to be perfect. They have to take a full schedule of all AP courses, which leaves them little to no room to explore other interests, electives, arts or anything else that might develop their human side, as opposed to just their intellect. Anything less than perfect grades = failure. The kids are pushed into extra tutoring, test prep courses and even athletic trainers so that they can be the best. (Yes, at sports, too!)

Although some students thrive in this atmosphere, many others do not. Over the years, DH has had several of his students hospitalized for what would have been called in the old days a "nervous breakdown." Some of their parents even came to the teachers and asked for assignments to be brought to the hospital so their kids wouldn't fall behind. Can you imagine? The pressure to be perfect also leads to cheating and a whole lot of begging for points once grades come out.

Your post reminds me of a recent short story about high school students striving to be admitted to selective colleges:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/06/honors-track/8986/
    Honors Track
    By MOLLY PATTERSON
    The Atlantic
    June 2012

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    U
    U
    Charter schools are supposed to accept any child who applies. If the school is oversubscribed, there is to be a lottery.

This is incorrect. Charter schools in many states are allowed to have selection criteria; the one my DD attended had them. There is then a lottery from those kids who meet the selection criteria (btw, the application also wanted us to specify what preschool our kid went to and what volunteer skills we could offer). They also have a great deal of leeway to push kids out who are not doing well at the school. This continues to happen at the school DD used to attend--they basically will not serve kids with LDs. They actually mentioned this on the tour, though they didn't put it quite that baldly. Not coincidentally, their test scores are quite high.

Last edited by ultramarina; 06/04/12 05:59 AM.
    U
    U
    Oh, sorry, I see that the author actually is setting up a straw man by saying that! Yeah, obviously, it isn't true.

The Newsweek list has been the subject of much discussion in my area and the long and short of it is that is a joke. The schools that regularly send kids to the top colleges, the same schools with most of the NMSFs, the same schools that rock the AMC tests - these schools are not on the list.

Are there a lot of incredible opportunities at the school? Absolutely! Would I send my own kids there? I'm not so sure. That's something we discuss at home often. Are the opportunities worth the potential cost?

I would not send my DD to such a school. Perfectionism is a problem (and one she already has), not a goal.

IMHO, there has to be a better way of judging a school's worth than the formulas in the newspaper.

I ignore any such rankings, because individual results may vary. Besides, there's a lot more to an education than test scores.

S
    S
    This list is kind of silly, but I am sure it does a great deal to sell magazines and hype someone's feelings. I'm in Austin's camp. My HS (granted I went there 20 yrs ago) was ranked on their "Public Elite" list as recently as 2 years ago. This list seems to have been tossed away in favor of a new formula. It is now middle of the pack per the formula, as are some of the other prior "Public Elite" schools (or they aren't listed at all). I know nothing substantial about my former HS has changed in the last 2 years, or really the last 20.

But to the larger question, what are the metrics for an outstanding HS? Scores? 100% graduation? Teacher-student ratio? Getting into any college? Getting into an Ivy? Noteworthy alum? Academics? Student satisfaction/happiness?

No formula illustrates the true picture, as much as publications would like us to buy in.

H
    H
    Remember that in many cases, the formula looks at the percentage of students who take AP-- not the pass rate. As long as the school has a lot of kids in those most challenging classes, it doesn't matter if they pass or fail or even whether they take the AP tests at all. Just being in the class raises the rating for the school. On the one hand, I'm all for encouraging kids to be challenged, especially as preparation for college. On the other hand, I have seen kids pushed into classes they can't handle simply because they have AP in front of the title.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    The pressure to be perfect also leads to cheating and a whole lot of begging for points once grades come out.

The article

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/e...nts-describe-rationale-for-cheating.html
    Stuyvesant Students Describe the How and the Why of Cheating
    By VIVIAN YEE
    New York Times
    September 25, 2012

describes such an environment at Stuyvesant. The short story I linked to upthread also concerned cheating, although at a neighborhood high school. I have written many messages about getting into selective colleges, but I had better talk to my children about ethics when they are older and not put too much pressure on them to get into school X.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM