Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    I think the sight words will be HUGE in helping with the reading difficulties so I really want to find a way for her to learn them without freaking her out. I see a lot of stumbling blocks with the spelling words too but also more ways to make learning them fun.

Pemberley, does your dd learn well from audio info? There's an online spelling program that was recommended for my youngest dd (she has an associative memory challenge that makes it tough for her to remember visual connections and she retains information much better if it's learned via audio input). I don't know if it would help, but I'll look up the link to it and post it for you.

I also know so well how you feel in wishing you had someone to help with a clear roadmap for your dd - fwiw, I think that you are that someone! You're doing a tremendous job of seeking answers and solutions and really doing everything you can to understand your dd's challenges - and you're doing a great job of coordinating the various information and experts so that you can come up with a plan. Hang in there!!!

polarbear

P
    P
    Originally Posted by knute974
    This is my husband. When he can't get close enough for spell check, he calls me. He never writes anything by hand except "to do" lists for himself. When I forced him to hand write thank you notes to a few critical people, i.e. his boss, after our wedding, I had to proof them. He spelled the same word three different ways that were phonetically correct in the space of a paragraph. His dyslexia reflects the lack of automaticity described in Shaywitz's Overcoming Dyslexia. I think that this is the root of his disability and my daughter's too. Having lived with him, I've had to re-evaluate my own attitudes about people who can't spell. His inability to spell is not due to laziness or lack of intelligence, it is something that his brain just can't do. He spends a lot of time and effort compensating for his short-comings in this area because he knows people will perceive his mistakes as "lazy and sloppy." Despite his spelling challenges, my husband still managed to get a master's degree in mechanical engineering and is a successful professional in his chosen field.

knute, fwiw, what you've written describes my dh *exactly* - right down to the degree in mechanical engineering! He is also very successful in his chosen field, and I spell-check for him frequently.

polarbear

A
    A
    Pemberly - I don't remember - how old is your kiddo? If she isn't too far past it, have you considered putting her through the Wilson Reading Program? It breaks things down in a logical way that helped my son a lot with the logic of spelling ... at least for the words in the English language that follow logic.

As I said in my first post, I wouldn't put hours into practice. It seems the older they get, the more that is absorbed and retained, so driving them crazy when they're young doesn't seem all that productive when there are other things that need addressed that could use that time to better use.

My husband is in his 40's, has had two successful exits from companies he co-founded and is now on his third startup. He still asks about spelling and relies a lot on spell check. It has in no way hampered his success. He's developed business plans, had to communicate with venture capitalists and angel investors and is very good at communicating.

Originally Posted by polarbear
    Using handwriting to write a quick note and mentally calculating change are two entirely unrelated tasks (although people who have challenges with one *might* have challenges with the other).
    Thank you, Captain Obvious.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    Pemberly - I don't remember - how old is your kiddo? If she isn't too far past it, have you considered putting her through the Wilson Reading Program?

There's no "being past" Wilson. DD10 is starting Wilson this year, with a reading level exceeding the K-10 reading test she did. She's starting from the beginning.

For my DD, and I was making the assumption that it was similar for Pemberly's DD, was that these sight words and spelling are on top of the intervention curriculum. In our case, we've got Wilson reading to work on the underlying spelling difficulties, but at the same time, DD is doing the regular spelling curriculum. In her case, getting a list of words that follow a few spelling rules is useful. She still can't spell the base words (that's where Wilson will help), but learning the rules is still constructive.

polarbear, I think the point that you might have missed, is that handwriting, spelling, and mental calculations are all frequently lumped together as skills no longer needed in the modern age of computers, spell check, and calculators. Each family needs to set forward their goals and priorities. In our case, DH still has the condolence cards that were handwritten to him after his dad died. The emails he got are out there somewhere in the digital ether, but they certainly aren't on his bedside table. Looking at our daughter's strengths and weaknesses, being able to write a short card is an important goal we hold for her.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM