Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Dealande:
    Check out http://www.appliedgifteded.com/
    This father posted on this forum under Gifted Ed Advocacy Site for Pennsylvania. Seems like he went through a lot but finally figured out the system
    Ania

writing process "new idea" ((as if))

I was trying to help DS10's teacher puzzle out his responce to writing a paper on a topic. I think that the whole idea strikes DS10 as redundant, as in, what is the point of taking information out of books and reworking it into a 4 page paper, when LOL, the information is already on the internet and in Books. ((LOLROTF - could he please be less insightful sometimes?))

Anyway - they are "teaching" him to structure the paper by putting 5 questions about his topic, Egypt, on note cards and having him answer the questions. Then they complain that he questions he askes are generating short answers that will not magically grow into paragrahps like the method says they will.

I was suggesting that they ask him to put "perspective" on the 5 cards, not "questions." Then I had the insight that the process is comperable to the fable about the blind men examining the Elephant - each has their own perspective. That got me very excited because aren't we all blind when we try to take on a complicated subject? Isn't this the essence of the excersize?

I was imagining going around teaching children to explore through writing with my wonderful story. Then I remembered: If I tryed in on many normal children, their response would be - what does an elephant and a bunch of blind guys have to do with Egypt?

Similarly, DS10 is just as mystified why a person would want to use 5 questions to write a paper.

LOLOLOL! At least I can brag about my great idea here, and expect to help at least one other family.

Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    Hi Dottie!

I'm in the South Williamsport school district. I'm not sure if this is a lycoming county problem or a local ps district problem since I'm stuck dealing with the superintendent etc. They ONLY teach to the PSSA and will NOT do anything above and beyond that even though I've quoted chapter 16 until I'm blue in the face! We have yet another meeting scheduled for this coming tues with the title one teacher...because he's the ONLY one that the district has offered to sit down with us to try and figure out a reading program that will fit my son. As of now he's in 6th grade doing "regular 6th grade work" without anything additional. He considers them to be baby books and pretty much zones out the entire day. The superintendent has lowered himself to name calling and veiled threats if I don't shut up. Well this is my son's ONE chance for a decent education so no, I"m not about to shut up! Where are you Dottie? Close enough to compare nots about the public schools?? ;-)

D
    D
    Hi willagayle!

Yep he was evaulated 4yrs ago and we have the bare minimum yearly GIEP which ends up being me complaining and them saying that they're "working on it" or that they "only have so much in the budget" or that "pssa scores are more important" or that "title one kids need the extra help" blah blah. The main two problems are the superintendent and the curriculum advisor since both are special ed backgrounds with NO desire to do anything with Gifted children. So it's an uphill battle. I'm planning on having him independently evaluated this summer since a friend of mine here recently found out that her daughter had been evaluated incorrectly at our school...they had her labeled as "mildly retarded" and she's only dyslexic! Cyber schooling is sounding better and better.

D
    D
    Thanks Ania!

I printed the entire post out and am taking it with me to the meeting scheduled on tues.

Why does it seem like it's just SO much to ask that my son be educated to the best of his ability exactly like all the title one kids??

But thanks to ALL for the support. It means more than you know! <hugs>

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM