Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    I speak to the boys probably 80% of the time in Czech ... they learn their English from TV ... and DS4's vocab is unbelievable to some of our friends. (at 2.5 he'd rather say something was "difficult" than "hard", etc.)

I was a house party once, hosted by an American Czech who married a Czech Czech. The had Czech children, so every year they would go back to Czech to pick up their child check from Czech for having Czech children (who were distinctly American and lived in America).

M
    M
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I speak to the boys probably 80% of the time in Czech ... they learn their English from TV ... and DS4's vocab is unbelievable to some of our friends. (at 2.5 he'd rather say something was "difficult" than "hard", etc.)

I was a house party once, hosted by an American Czech who married a Czech Czech. The had Czech children, so every year they would go back to Czech to pick up their child check from Czech for having Czech children (who were distinctly American and lived in America).

lol

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    I do agree that there might be some relation between gifted kids learning from TV as opposed to other kids who just zoom out and don't get that much out of the shows

My kids don't zone out either.

Instead it's questions, comments, questions, comments, questions, comments (siiigh) ...mostly about how the show was made, how much of the content is real, how much is fiction. Could that happen in real life? Was that done with a computer? etc etc etc etc. DH and I tape shows and watch them after the kids go to bed so we can watch in peace and quiet.

Last edited by CCN; 09/17/12 04:08 PM.
    E
    E
    I voted none. We do not have a cable hookup or digital receiver, and our only TV is in the basement. But, we will occasionally watch a short nature show on Netflix or youtube. And, every couple of weeks we will watch a family movie.

My DD does like to watch TV. I remember when she was younger she would watch CNN in the doctor's office. She still remembers the Chilean miners which happened to be going on during a series of visits. We recently saw the apparatus used in the rescue at a museum and she recognized it. I think she was two at the time of the crisis.

She also sat through a movie in the movie theater at 20 months old completely enthralled.

U
    U
    DD watches almost none. There really isn't any time for it in her/our lives, I guess. She sometimes has a few hours of computer use a week, like 3 max.

DS used to watch some last year because I needed a few more hours of "child care" than I had. Maybe 4 hours a week? Sometimes it was computer instead of TV. Right now, he's in school more and isn't watching any.

We hardly ever watch any on weekends unless the weather is really bad.

I anticipate media use going up quite a bit as they get older. I'd be okay with DD watching more, but it doesn't really seem to come up. She doesn't care.

They never watch commercial TV. Only exceptions are occasional sports events--very occasional. They found all the ads during the Olympics quite bizarre.

We don't get "good" cable.

... and see, we can only get "good TV" by having "good cable."

BBC, I mean. LOL.

DD currently watches three shows regularly-- two with her Dad, and one with me: a) The Walking Dead, b) What Would You Do, and c) Doctor Who. Oh, and she does love The Simpsons. And South Park.

When she was 3-5yo, her favorite shows were Emeril, Martha Stewart, and CSI.
    Then she went through a phase where she loved Numb3rs, and Monty Python (thank you Netflix!) and I'd let her stay up late to watch it.

She's also fond of Star Trek (original and NG), and The Twilight Zone, as well as some syndicated stuff like Perry Mason (which her cell phone plays as a ring tone, much to the bewilderment of most of HER peer group, but to the obvious delight of anyone over forty...)

I guess, other than during periods of illness, she's never really watched much TV.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    E
    E
    My kids (8 and 4) are allowed to watch PBS Kids on Saturday and Sunday mornings so that their dad and I can get some sleep. I chose Saturday mornings only as the closest poll choice.

Val Offline

I guess no one over there czeched up on them.

Val #138425 09/17/12 08:02 PM
    Originally Posted by Val
    I guess no one over there czeched up on them.
    I'd wager that, upon putting one of those moppets in the right cultural setting, the inner Slav will yet be revealed by a certain transformation, i.e. the Czech'll unhide.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    I just wanted to get an idea of how other parents felt about their kids TV habits. I often feel like my kids would be more excited about educational things like flash cards or puzzles if there was no TV. Or more specifically, no crappy cartoons like Ben10 or Super Hero Squad (I would never tell them that though. I know I loved that stuff as a kid too)!...like others have said, my kids have learned from things like the science channel and the nasa channel (which by the way, has some great kids programming, although it's only on for short periods at a time).

And, yes, I do notice that some kids seem to pull learning out of everything they do, including watching TV, while other kids just seem to play for the sake of playing or watch TV just to enjoy the show.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM