Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    K
    K
    I learned that our district is adopting Common Core for math next year. I'm a little concerned reading this thread that it is just the latest trend. I recall 5-6 years ago that everyone was switching to Investigations and Everyday Math. Now, "poof" those are out and CC is in. Don't get me wrong, I won't be sad to say good-bye to Investigations. I'm just worried that this is another stab in the dark with my kids as guinea pigs.

knute974 #137977 09/13/12 09:24 AM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by knute974
    I learned that our district is adopting Common Core for math next year. I'm a little concerned reading this thread that it is just the latest trend. I recall 5-6 years ago that everyone was switching to Investigations and Everyday Math. Now, "poof" those are out and CC is in. Don't get me wrong, I won't be sad to say good-bye to Investigations. I'm just worried that this is another stab in the dark with my kids as guinea pigs.

Welcome to the world of American edumacation. Remember whole language reading? Math problems with no right answer? Freeform writing (or whatever they called it) where correcting spelling and grammar mistakes would damage a child's precious self-esteem?

The US education system is based on a deeply flawed set of ideas. For example, schools and NCLB push the dogma that everyone can achieve age-grade level standards. When it becomes clear that some kids aren't achieving grade-level standards at the "correct" age, the problem must be the curriculum.

It couldn't possibly be that some kids need to work more slowly.

Last edited by Val; 09/13/12 09:25 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Of course not.

Because that would be something that can't be "fixed" easily. Er-- or not with the current system, anyway. whistle

So what if following the latest fad diet isn't a solution for students?

Atkins Common Core isn't about that. It's about rigor.

Rigor henceforth shall be designated that process by which administrators and peripheral education staffers are kept happy and productively engaged doing... things... and being paid.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    My impression was that Common Core is not a curriculum (although it will surely trigger publication of new textbooks), per se, but a set of common standards. In that case, comparing it to Everyday Math is an apples to oranges comparison. Previously, states (and districts) each developed their own standards of learning expectations for each grade level. In addition to making movement between districts or states smoother, it (Common Core) may also be motivated by assessment. The next step is new standardized tests based on the Common Core Standards - for us, this test will replace the NCLB test our state has been using for years. Thus, it will be possible to compare test scores between districts and states, using the same tests and knowing they have targeted the same set of standards.

Last edited by amylou; 09/13/12 10:37 AM.
    amylou #137998 09/13/12 10:25 AM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by amylou
    My impression was that Common Core is not a curriculum (although it will surely trigger publication of new textbooks), per se, but a set of common standards. ... Thus, it will be possible to compare test scores between districts and states, using the same tests and knowing they have targeted the same set of standards.

I really wish this turns out to be true. But I'm dubious, because the political and other stakes are too high. The cynic in me thinks "The same people are still in charge; they've mostly found ways to get around attempts at meaningful evaluation in the past, and they'll find a way to get around it again with Common Core."

A new curriculum (or set of standards; whatever you want to call it) and buzzwords like RIGOR! won't change deeply flawed mindsets like everyone can be proficient at the same stuff at the same age and everyone should go to college.

Z
    Z
    The common core website ( http://www.corestandards.org/ ) touts it as only skill/learning outcomes. From their Q&A:
    Q: Will the common core state standards keep local teachers from deciding what or how to teach?
    A: No. The Common Core State Standards are a clear set of shared goals and expectations for what knowledge and skills will help our students succeed. Local teachers, principals, superintendents and others will decide how the standards are to be met. Teachers will continue to devise lesson plans and tailor instruction to the individual needs of the students in their classrooms. Local teachers, principals, superintendents, and school boards will continue to make decisions about curriculum and how their school systems are operated.

Val #138009 09/13/12 10:58 AM
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by amylou
    My impression was that Common Core is not a curriculum (although it will surely trigger publication of new textbooks), per se, but a set of common standards. ... Thus, it will be possible to compare test scores between districts and states, using the same tests and knowing they have targeted the same set of standards.

I really wish this turns out to be true. But I'm dubious, because the political and other stakes are too high. The cynic in me thinks "The same people are still in charge; they've mostly found ways to get around attempts at meaningful evaluation in the past, and they'll find a way to get around it again with Common Core."

A new curriculum (or set of standards; whatever you want to call it) and buzzwords like RIGOR! won't change deeply flawed mindsets like everyone can be proficient at the same stuff at the same age and everyone should go to college.

Or, for that matter, that every group of two or more educators requires at least one full-time administrator to tell them what to do, and when, and how. Every year.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    I have just learned that DD's math curriculum is Common Core- based. For some reason I am hating the way the book is written this year when I had no problems with it last year (same series). It's not about the actual problems, but poor writing style. However, I think the pace and material covered are pretty good. DD is working exactly a year ahead.

Through Googling, I have learned that this book is hated by teachers for moving too fast and being too hard. So maybe not great for most kids, but it may be that Common Core is indeed a step up in terms of rigor? (rigor rigor rigor)

ultramarina #138065 09/14/12 06:08 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Through Googling, I have learned that this book is hated by teachers for moving too fast and being too hard. So maybe not great for most kids, but it may be that Common Core is indeed a step up in terms of rigor? (rigor rigor rigor)

At the parent meetings about Common Core here, the parents of slower learners were in a panic because their kids *were* being shoved ahead faster in the new curriculum, and the transition is going to be very rough on those kids. (They were in "slower moving classes" before and will now be thrown in with everyone else. How is that going to be for them? They are starting behind.) I think that concern is very real in how CC is being implemented here.

And the parents of faster learners were worried that the path to calculus in high school was still not smooth enough for kids not IDd as gifted. Also valid from how I see the details of the implementation.

The district is not treating CC as lockstep, but even so, it does hold most kids to a higher/faster standard than it did previously, and yes, I think that is more or less what is meant by rigor. (igor igor). Algebra 1 by 8th grade for most kids. They want all kids through Algebra II by the end of high school.

They have put in some 25 min. of extra class time a day at the MS for the kids who need extra support. I hope that works to keep most people on track, because I think it will be stressful for the kids for whom it doesn't.

I am interested in developing a flexible, humane educational system that has standards but also admits of individual need and individual difference. In all ways.

DeeDee

Last edited by DeeDee; 09/14/12 06:20 AM. Reason: punctuation
    U
    U
    I am interested in developing a flexible, humane educational system that has standards but also admits of individual need and individual difference. In all ways.

Sounds good to me.

I really don't envy teachers. At all. It must be very difficult to constantly readjust to these new systems being thrown at you every other week.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM