Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by fwtxmom
    So if I make him follow along will the quantum of improvement really be worth the time and struggle involved? Handwriting work with DS does not produce enough noticeable improvement to justify the time (and the angst) involved. If it really produces marked results I will heave a sigh and be the bad guy again.

Re handwriting, are you talking about actual handwriting (penmanship etc) or producing written expression?

I'm going to be coming at this from a perspective of a mom with 2e kids with challenges, so my answer will most likely be different from the answer of a parent who's child (gifted or not) has never struggled with reading or handwriting.

I also have a dh who is a very very slow reader who, as far as I can tell, has never *ever* as an adult read a book for pleasure and doesn't often read much of anything for work. I am guessing that, based on the dyslexia and dysgraphia that is showing up among his family's generation of children - both he and his father have/had some degree of dyslexia or other type of reading challenge. The good news is - he's extremely intelligent, has a *great* career, has achieved quite a bit in his life, is an amazing and loving father, a kind and considerate and caring citizen, and he's happy. He also derives quite a bit of pleasure from listening to NPR podcasts wink

During the course of raising a child with severe dysgraphia I've done a ton of searching for stories of successful adults who had to overcome challenges in school, and it's really actually quite easy to find stories of very successful adults with dyslexia who, even as adults, struggle with reading and rely on other adults to help - yet they are CEOs, entrepreneurs, successful, happy - usually much happier as adults than as students in school.

So fwiw, I don't for one second believe that a child who struggles with reading is doomed to a life of no-gainful-employment. As technology moves forward and becomes much more widespread in our daily lives, the whole concept of "reading" is evolving and listening to books is just going to continue to grow. Along with that, so many of our software programs and iDevices now have text-to-voice capabilities that it's not just LD kids who are using that technology - many very NT people are too smile And the kids who are students now happily listening instead of always reading are going to be the adults of tomorrow who are living with, working with and socializing with our reading- and writing- challenged kids. Their adult world going into and coming out of college is going to be much different than ours was.

(stepping off my momentary soapbox....)

My take on raising a child with an LD is that you remediate what you can and equally importantly you help them find strategies and accommodations to deal with the rest so that they can shine in the areas where their skills are strong and where their passions lie.

Our ds is dysgraphic. We were told in 2nd grade that we should tutor him in handwriting to the extent that he could develop it, but not push for perfect or even for more. What was most important for him was moving him to keyboarding and letting go of handwriting. I've had other parents and teachers who haven't lived with dysgraphia or don't understand view that as giving up or depriving ds of a very important skill but the reality is a) he will never become proficient at handwriting and when he uses handwriting it supresses his ability to spell/punctuate correctly and prevents him from processing the thoughts he wants to communicate and reality b) he doesn't need to use handwriting - the technology to keyboard and use voice-to-text is readily accessible to him and widely accepted in the world outside of school.

I don't disagree that reading is a very important skill, but I think that with reading challenges as well as writing, there are some kids/adults who are never going to become proficient to the level that we as parents might expect or hope that they would achieve. As has been mentioned before in this thread, audiobooks are a tremendous gift that allows students to continue to develop their reading comprehension skills while not holding them back due to decoding skills, as well as giving kids who struggle with reading a chance to feed and develop a *love* of literature and a way to access knowledge that matches their cognitive abilities.

So with reading challenges I'd approach it with a similar approach to what we were recommended for our dysgraphic ds - remediate what you can but don't make that the overwhelming only "reading" your child is exposed to - be sure he/she has an opportunity to listen to books that are a good cognitive match and also books that he/she enjoys. Once you get to whatever point it is where the extra work being put into learning reading isn't producing any results, rethink it again, is there something else that you can do.. but if not... it's ok to let it go.

There are also downsides to continuing to push remediation past the point of large positive gains - as students get older they can burn out on the remediation, and are also losing time to it that they could be spending learning in areas where learning comes easily and is fun - and this can be extremely defeating for some children. Our ds is still working with an SLP once a week for written expression but we gave up handwriting tutoring way back in 3rd grade and never *ever* looked back. The reason he's still working with his SLP is it's still helping and his abilities are still obviously developing over what they would be if he gave it up - and he's old enough now to see that it helps so *he* doesn't want to give it up.

I personally don't believe handwriting tutoring for a dysgraphic child is going to help much for most dysgraphic kids, and our neuropsych would agree with that - if you've given it a good try for your ds and you aren't seeing gains I'd move on and instead focus on having him learn to type and use other types of AT. I can't answer our question re whether or not continuing with extra work in reading will produce results for your ds - one challenge with reading is finding the type of learn-to-read program that fits the learning style and challenges each student has. The one thing I *would* absolutely do is look at building reading skills as *one* isolated area to work on, and be sure to use audiobooks etc for the other academics and for daily reading-for-comprehension etc.

polarbear

P
    P
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I think that parents of gifted children have some trouble wrapping our understanding around the need for a LOT-- no, really a LOT-- of practice at some skill when it doesn't really seem like the progress is "worth it" or maybe even happening at all.

OTOH parents of NT kids also usually don't realize that endless repetition isn't necessarily going to produce results for kids who have certain types of LDs. I am not a reading expert so can only speak to dysgraphia - but the whole gist of what dysgraphia is is the inability to develop automaticity - so no matter how many times a child repeats the actual act of writing the letter "t" for instance, it never *ever* becomes automatic - they are always re-thinking in their head how to draw it every time they write it out.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    While DD doesn't have any particular diagnosed disability w/r/t writing, it has been a battle of epic proportions for almost a decade. She hates to write, and loathes practicing the skill; naturally, she doesn't do it very well in light of those things. But we are finally (after years and years of firm but compassionate insistence) seeing some results for our intense efforts. It's been slow and unsatisfying, to say the least.

But it is a very different thing to require a child who has the *capability* to learn a skill to work on it as opposed to requiring a child with a diagnosed disability to learn the skill. I *think* (and could be remembering this incorrectly) that fwxtmom's child has been diagnosed with either dyslexia/dysgraphia or a related disability.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Absolutely not suggesting that it's ever right to exert extreme pressure in an effort to pursue unrealistic expectations, particularly in light of a disability which limits performance.

This is why I noted that I'd rely upon expert opinion to say what is in fact realistic for the child in question. "Slow" progress isn't the same as "no" progress, but there's no point in depriving the child of enriching experiences just to doggedly pursue achingly slow progress, either. This is precisely why I noted that I would probably make an agreement that the child would spend a "percentage" of the time with school-related texts in tandem with audio. The text-only option is clearly not very effective for this child, but it may be too soon to know whether or not gains might be made by using the two tools together.

The percentage of time spent with text might be quite small and still be entirely appropriate. It's really not for me to say, which is why (I hoped) it was clear that determining whether or not improvement is even possible needs to be the first consideration here. My apologies if that got inadequate emphasis in my original post. smile

It's also true that what is ultimately "possible" isn't always known for many specific diagnoses, particularly as more is learned about the underlying causes of the disability, and better means of working around the limitation(s) are devised. Some people have better ability to develop compensatory strategies surrounding particular skills than others.

I just don't think that life is likely to ever result in little need to read text, outside of a few endeavors, so it might be limiting to give up on it. In some ways, the digital age has been much kinder to dysgraphics than to dyslexics. Maybe giving up on text is necessary, but maybe not; it's at least feasible that a limited diet might improve matters if it's a decoding problem.

I think my advice and Polarbear's are actually the same here-- use this wonderful new window into literacy and let him enjoy books!! (Worry about the text thing on it's own as a side matter.)

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 09/01/12 05:19 PM. Reason: to add final paragraph

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    R
    R
    I am not an expert, sorry! .... but my DS is 2e and struggles a lot with reading and writing. It is very hard to see him stumbling through 2nd-grade texts while he can understand much-higher grade texts. This is all the harder as on one hand DW is on the repetition side and on the other hand, I am on the "let's help him" side, just to provide him pleasure. His speech therapist is rather on the mother's side. So as she is the expert, I have just to bow down .... Well, I never asked her about audiobooks and this topic makes feel like I should.
    The fact is that I like a lot the answer of polarbear, even if it also sounds quite pessimistics since I still think that DS can make improvements in reading (well it is actually the case) and in writing (very very tiny progresses). Is it a good thing to rely on technology in the economical crisis context we are facing at least in Europe (I am afraid the future of our children is not very shiny)?

As HowlerKarma, I do not think that life can be easy for a non-reader, at least in our occidental societies. Nevertheless, I am currently reading "the dyslexic advantage" when I can find spare time. This book really gives me a kick in the a**. It helps me a lot in understanding DS and in believing in his capabilities. Especially, it opens my eyes on the fact that beneath the downsides of dyslexia, strengthes are hidden. However, the authors present a lot of success story, but how many lost children for one success story (just as in sports)?

What I personnaly think is that our dyslexic kids must take advantages of computers to lower their struggling stress. It is a chance that former pre-computer-age dyslexics did not have. Nevertheless, I will go on with making him try to read and write although I often wonder what is the point (especially for writing). It is very hard to find the right balance ...

I will try to convince DW with letting him listening to audio stuffes (books or whatever).

D
    D
    I think that there will be enough in life that won't have the audio version and that he will have to use his eyes to read that you shouldn't worry about it.
    Does your library have Playaways? http://library.playaway.com/ I love them! No CDs to change.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by fwtxmom
    Three hours later I had to pry the audiobook out of his hands at bedtime. He loved it! He covered 17 chapters in a day, an unprecedented feat.

When I asked the 6th grade teachers if he could use audiobooks they told me he should also follow along in a book to strengthen his reading ability. Will this type of practice be worth the time and effort involved and actually improve his reading that substantially?

Anyway, should he follow along even if it slows him down and steals the joy? Can I just let him listen instead of read without depriving him of important learning?

I say protect the joy, not steal it. I also agree with daytripper75 in that there will be enough content out there that's not available in audiobook form that he'll get practice.

If you support his love of audio-delivered content (rather than turning it into a tired chore) he may become more motivated to overcome his challenges to access the non-audio content.

Or... here's another option: offer him a choice: a) read along with his audio book and be done, or b) listen to and enjoy the audio book and do some different reading for practice later. I think this is what I would do for my son. I'd be really reluctant to steal the joy of the audio book by forcing him to read along.

Just my two cents... I'm not a teacher (just a book worm smile )

Last edited by CCN; 09/05/12 07:02 AM.
    M
    mgl Offline
    M
    I know of a few situations where kids with dysgraphia have benefitted immensely from audiobooks, even in the school setting. I think the key is to still work on reading, but give enough audio accomodations that they're not being kept from their potential in other ways. In short, let them audiobook to their heart's content, as long as there is frequent reading practice.

(For what it's worth, I think it's often hard to balance whether an accomodation is helping your child or hurting them. We're going through the same choice with keyboard v. handwriting on fine motor coordination.)

W
    WinonaTac
    Unregistered
    WinonaTac
    Unregistered
    W
    Hi, I am not an expert either, but would like to add my personal experience in the hopes that it may help others.

Although my 15yo DS was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade, we only recently discovered via cognitive testing that he is 2E with major challenges due to very slow processing speed, weak working memory, and graphomotor impairment (written expression). Dr. says he's a Ferrari with a Fiat transmission. School has been incredibly difficult both academically and socially every year.

His elementary school(private) had a reading program that required each student to read and log 1000 minutes over a period of 4 months from 2-5th grade (500 min in 1st grade). DS did it each year out loud through 4th grade (although I read to him out loud in the early years). It was so incredibly frustrating/agonizing for all of us but he had the will to succeed so he did it inch by inch. Did it help him? I don't really know if it helped him with reading, but he learned to succeed through tenacity and persistence. I believe he actually learned to read at the end of 3rd grade when I gave him a Hardy Boys book. He still collects them and at 15yo reads them at night when he can't sleep. He is now a HS sophomore with a high vocabulary but is still a slow reader. But he can read, YAY!

Now about the audio books. When DS was around 3-4yo, I bought some Disney book/cassette tape combos at a garage sale. He loved having the book and listening to the story at the same time and learned to turn the pages at the right time from the audio cues. Encouraged at the spark I saw in him, I found more and more of these at thrift shops, etc. He had a voracious appetite for listening to stories and for learning about various subjects via audio. Over the years I found age-appropriate audio materials without the companion books. An example is the dramatized Narnia audio books and Lord of the Rings Audio, but I also found many history and science type lectures on audio. DS has not just learned a ton via audio over the years, it's also given him the "escape" that others might have via reading a book. Although he wouldn't necessarily go pick up a book to read to calm himself down during frustrating times (except Hardy Boys), he would listen to a story .... and he still does, especially Narnia. I'm very happy that I provided him these resources even though I didn't understand the 2E, graphomotor impairment, slow processing issues, etc. I see the audio solution as highly valuable, but I also provided him with reading books that contained lots of pictures since he is visual to keep his tactile senses engaged. I think this has also been a good thing.

This summer he had to read "Gathering Blue" for homework. I checked out both the audio and paperback versions from the library. We listened to the audio version in the car, then I found an online quiz to help him study.... I printed out questions for 2-3 chapters per day and he wrote very brief answers on paper after looking them up in the paperback if he couldn't remember. Then after I got home from work we reviewed his answers through a discussion.

Gotta go, but I hope this helps some of you with younger children to see the possibilities for your kids into the teen years. And feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about our experience.

My DS has just started a program in a school of 8 students within a high school of 110 students. It's strictly for 2E's just like him and I'm very hopeful - they "get him."

I appreciate the many thoughtful comments on this thread, Polar in particular, thank you for your insights.

smile

F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks everyone for all the great feedback and suggestions. I have decided to go straight down the middle: audiobooks for assigned novels and audiobooks with simultaneous reading (when audio is available) for textbooks.

DS was having a meltdown about having to read 4 chapters of history and prepare Cornell notes for each chapter on Saturday ("It will take ALL DAY Mom!") when I went online and found an audio version of his history text. Problem solved! I was ecstatic to find this and he was able to complete the assignment is about 2 1/2 hours while reading and listening.

DS is even starting to think of audio as a solution for notetaking difficulties. The science teacher was talking too fast for dysgraphic DS to make notes of the test review class so he decided to audio record the review on his computer. He then transcribed this at home which was an excellent study technique. I can't even tell you how proud I am that he thought of this and solved his problem himself. It's like . . . progress.

That is TERRIFIC. smile

You can tell him that this is a technique which MANY college students learn to use in order to get the most out of rapidly moving lectures. So he's using a technique that many of his NT peers will eventually adopt at some point, too, in all liklihood.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM