Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Old Dad #137737 09/11/12 09:07 AM
    E
    E
    This seems like a good moment for a link to Eric and the Dread Gazebo.

Zen Scanner #137738 09/11/12 09:11 AM
    O
    Old Dad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Interesting re-awakening of this thread... made it out to the local card store on Sunday. Very nice facility; we were looking at Yu-Gi-Oh, but they discontinued it in the store due to some issues between older and younger kids and unfair trading. DS6 started excitedly rattling off all the rules he read/watched videos for it last week. The owner mentioned a new game Kaijudo that is starting up; so, we'll try that. He said if he could find a handful more of kids as enthusiastic as my DS he could put together a good group. No telling if DS will stay that motivated will cross my fingers for next Saturday.

It's always fun and interesting to try new games. I'd caution you though on spending much money on one until it gathers a pretty good following in your area. Strategy games come and go like the breeze. There are only a couple of TCGs for instance that have stood the test of time, namely, Magic the Gathering (MtG) Yu-Gi-Oh! (YGO) and Pokemon. Even Pokemon not that long ago was bought out by a different company and all prior cards deemed illegal for tournament play. Even among those games, card prices go up and down like a roller coaster...so never consider them an investment. Don't spend more on them than you can afford to lose.

ElizabethN #137740 09/11/12 09:27 AM
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    This seems like a good moment for a link to Eric and the Dread Gazebo.

LOL. That looks familiar, up until the point where Eric placidly reaches for the dice.

Dude #137744 09/11/12 09:54 AM
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    In college, I was invited to a D&D game.

Once.

Apparently, I was supposed to take it a little more seriously than I did.

They didn't like when I slowed their progress by attacking the (previously inert) local flora and fauna, getting myself seriously injured in the process. I also made apparently racist comments to the dark elf.

I guess if you're supposed to be serious, I was always doing it wrong. As players we were usually united in purpose, but our primary purpose was annoying the DM. Doing the bizarre was our normal operating mode. The DM would respond to the ruin of his scripted narrative by trying to kill us. Most times the games devolved into shouting matches, and a good time was had by all.

As a follow-up to my previous post, I did speak to my DD and her friend about playing, and they're pretty fired up about the idea, and I've begun the process of acquiring the necessary materials. In the interests of helping them flesh out a fuller party, I've proposed creating a warrior character of my own to tag along with them. But because it wouldn't do for me to unduly influence their side of the story, the character will be of sufficiently-impaired intellect that, among other things, he would be likely to attack inert flora and fauna. Or rather, he would be unlikely to attack aggressive flora and fauna if nobody told him to.

Sounds like DD's Pathfinder group. LOL.

Annoying the GM and wreaking havoc on his/her plans is all part of the fun, yes? laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM