Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 233 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    But the objection is about doing them because of how they will probably SEEM to others, rather than because of some inner compass or drive to do them.

Yes, that is it exactly. I was trying and failing to get at this idea. I've seen the damage this kind of conditioning can do: good friends have spent ten years or more and gone through a lot of pain getting over it as best they can.

The worst part is that people in these situations often think that they're the only ones who aren't happy. Everyone around them is so thrilled with being the way we are --- it must be me, right? There's something wrong with me because I'm so unhappy, and it's all my fault and I don't dare talk about it. (Wrong; many or most of the people around you are acting, too).

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    Perhaps LawWorld is the most extreme example, but I don't think it's only LawWorld. For example, MIT faculty is full of MIT, CalTech, and Stanford grads, with sprinklings from other Ivies and Carnegie Mellon grads.
    Correlation, not causation. The thing I was saying doesn't happen IME is filtering applicants out based on what university they attended. Do most successful applicants to good universities in practice come from good universities? Of course.

I think it is causation. While there is no explicit filter, there is simply a strong bias towards candidates with brand name degrees.

There are simply too many highly intelligent people that did not attend a premier college for numerous reasons. Some were late bloomers, and others had poor parental advice. The smartest person I have ever known was almost pushed into a community college by his average IQ parents. And the technology field, where I worked for some time, is full of highly intelligent and successful people. I worked with a person from the University of Rhode Island who created and sold four successful companies (each one actually built and sold product, not just vaporware).

Z
    Z
    What a fun philosophical spiral... the sweet breath of anti-conformity... introspection is a particular gift of the gifted that can be nurtured to stave off but barring that and mixed in with a lack of awareness in parents of the need for it you get societies that scream for innovation from the sock puppet on one hand and while beating down and turning away the divergent, creative individuals from colleges and jobs with the other.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Or, as I prefer to consider it, not even "about themselves" so much as producing a believable facade for the rest of the world.

In order to get into a good school these days you have to spent all of your time doing things you have no interest in doing and you have to do them very well. Whether they mean anything to the student is completely irrelevant. If you can't win through your own effort, you have to cheat because victory here is critical to archive any kind of meaningful future.

Ideally, you have your parents fully supporting you and fully invested in making sure that no errors are committed because any deviation from the ideal will result in catastrophic failure (e.g. not getting into Harvard). You cannot be allowed to make mistakes or spend any time engaged in activities that are not relevant for the task at hand. If there are "holes" in your performance, you must be enabled by your parents, even if it means your parents are the ones actually completing the task and doing the work. Whether you learn anything or achieve anything using your own skill is not relevant. It's too competitive of an environment to make any mistakes at all. If you do make mistakes, they have to be covered up.

It is "all about you" because you have to prove that you *are* better than everyone else within the specific confines of what the college admissions people are looking for. You simply don't have time for anything other than activities whose sole purpose is to create the ideal college application.

You then repeat this same set of activities for graduate school.

Did I get this right?

Am I missing anything?

Nope. That seems to cover it.

Which means, of course, that those of us who don't play the game via deliberately "opting out" yet still have kids that LOOK like those other kids...

wind up with kids that feel that they are probably just about "average" in every way.

That's an unfortunate thing. But in my mind, it's nowhere near as unfortunate as that kind of enmeshed, nitro-fueled hyper-parenting and the kind of anxiety and ennui that I see it producing in kids.

So if that means that choosing NOT to Tiger-parent means that my kid looks like every other Ivy applicant, rather than her "personal best" under this bizarre new system, I still think that I'm going to choose to allow her a real childhood. She puts plenty of pressure on herself without much help from us in this respect.

She also chooses to do certain kinds of community service all on her own. You know, because it makes her feel good to HELP OTHERS? (Unusual concept these days, I know...)

Yeah, I make her practice the piano. Thirty minutes a day, I mean. I also don't choose what she plays. She likes some pretty odd stuff, honestly. Right now she's into variations-- extemporaneously-- on Billy Joel and Elton John, with Gershwin and Grieg thrown in. That's fine. It's personal expression and it's really who she is.

That's me. Sometimes we doubt ourselves. After all, neither of us has an Ivy league pedigree. What if it really does matter as much as "The Machine" seems to want us to think??

Hmmm. Best not to think too hard about that one.

When you actually look hard at admission rates at elite colleges, they aren't THAT low, either. A lot of them admit fully 20-40% of applicants. It isn't as competitive as parents are sometimes being led to believe. I think a lot of this is parents being whipped into a competitive frenzy.

(As Jon has so brilliantly and playfully noted above.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Did I get this right?

Am I missing anything?

I think you summed it up pretty well.

I would also add, "And then after that, you wonder why you're so unhappy."

This looks like a book about this particular problem.

"The Price of Privilege: How Parental Pressure and Material Advantage Are Creating a Generation of Disconnected and Unhappy Kids"

http://www.amazon.com/The-Price-Privilege-Generation-Disconnected/dp/0060595841

O
    O
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Is there a clearly superior alternative? Admitting students to college based on a single exam, as some countries do, concentrates the stress but may not reduce its quantity.

Yes, basing admissions on exam results is a better system. It judges students on their merits and nothing else. The exams also test what students will face in college/university, as well. Basing things on one set of exam results also avoids teaching the cynicism that comes with doing volunteer work because it looks good on an application or doing a summer internship because it will make good fodder for your essay.

Having two degrees from European universities, I agree that the system is stressful. It's also not perfect. But at least it's honest.

I think that some people missed my point: I know that admissions are more competitive than they used to be. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't sit down and think about the ramifications of teaching kids that so much of what they do should be about themselves.

I guess it really depends on what the college is hoping to achieve isn't it? If all that is important to the college is to turn out the most academically advanced students then using only exams for admissions is fine, however, I think that's not the ultimate goal of most colleges.

I think most colleges are looking to turn out successful individuals who are productive, happy, and strong in mind, body, and spirit. That is more likely to happen when the prospective student has already demonstrated they can achieve that criteria prior to college with college being an expansion and continuation rather than the start of everything but academic success.

Basing college admissions on exam results would certainly be an option, however, then look what we've forced students into doing for college admissions....doing nothing but study to the test in order to be competitive. Is that what we really want? Narrowing it completely down to how well you've studied / ability to meet the demands of one test? Do you think that makes for a well rounded and happy individual? Do we want students to wait until their in college to explore anything else but academics? I certainly don't.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Originally Posted by Val
    Is there a clearly superior alternative? Admitting students to college based on a single exam, as some countries do, concentrates the stress but may not reduce its quantity.

Yes, basing admissions on exam results is a better system. It judges students on their merits and nothing else. The exams also test what students will face in college/university, as well. Basing things on one set of exam results also avoids teaching the cynicism that comes with doing volunteer work because it looks good on an application or doing a summer internship because it will make good fodder for your essay.

Having two degrees from European universities, I agree that the system is stressful. It's also not perfect. But at least it's honest.

I think that some people missed my point: I know that admissions are more competitive than they used to be. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't sit down and think about the ramifications of teaching kids that so much of what they do should be about themselves.

I guess it really depends on what the college is hoping to achieve isn't it? If all that is important to the college is to turn out the most academically advanced students then using only exams for admissions is fine, however, I think that's not the ultimate goal of most colleges.

Even if your goals are strictly academic, basing admissions only on exam results is suboptimal, because studies have always found that the best predictor of college grades is a COMBINATION of standardized test scores and high school grades, NOT test scores alone. Based on her previous messages I think Val envisions exams that are different from the SAT or ACT (they would be primarily essay exams), but I don't think these results would change.

Both high school grades and test scores load on intelligence. Grades have a higher loading on persistence and diligence than test scores do, and these qualities certainly matter for college success.

Both high school grades and test scores load on intelligence. Grades have a higher loading on persistence and diligence than test scores do, and these qualities certainly matter for college success.

Somehow emotional maturity and stability needs to be taken into account, too.

I had high test scores and high grades, however I completely collapsed in college because of a failure to adapt to the social and academic environment. Essentially, I had no ability or knowledge how to self-regulate.

In hindsight, there was no sense whatsoever in wasting a perfectly good engineering scholarship on me.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM