Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2...c8DFeZPejviqz3GzpBafggd&cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS1
    'Hybrid' Home Schools Gaining Traction
    Education Week
    By Sarah D. Sparks

Education policymakers and researchers have largely ignored the tremendous growth in home schooling, particularly among these sorts of “hybrid” home-schoolers willing to blur the pedagogical and legal lines of public and private education, said Joseph Murphy, an associate dean at Peabody College of Education at Vanderbilt University and the author of Home Schooling in America: Capturing and Assessing the Movement. The book, an analysis of research on the topic, is being published this month by Corwin of Thousand Oaks, Calif.
    “Historically home school was home school, and school was school,” Mr. Murphy said. “Now … it’s this rich portfolio of options for kids.”

Menu of Choices

Baywood Learning Center in Oakland, Calif., a private school for gifted students, has offered hybrid home-schooling programs for the past three years. The school has a la carte classes on individual subjects once a week, as well as a multiage class that meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays to cover core academics. Director Grace Neufeld said demand for the latter has grown 50 percent in the last year, to about 40 students ages 4 to 17.

“Parents usually design a patchwork quilt of different classes and activities for their children,” she said. “What I see is they sign up for various classes being held in various locations like science centers or museums or different places. They also add things like music lessons, art lessons, sports, or martial arts.”
    Similarly, more home-schooling parents are developing formal co-ops, like the Inman Hybrid Home School program in Inman, Ga. Founder Holly Longino, a former health teacher at Carver Middle School in Inman, left public teaching to home-school her four children, but last year started the group classes a few times a week with five students and a handful of retired public school teachers. The teachers provide video lectures for students to use as well as in-class projects. Ms. Longino said some parents also take their children to courses at the local college and science museum, but would never consider forming a charter school.
    “There’s a lot of freedom in home schooling,” she said. “I don’t ever want to be a school, because I don’t want to lose the parental control we have.”
    Diversifying Population
    With the modern schoolhouse only in place since the late 1800s, home schooling is hardly a new idea. But the number of home-schoolers has more than doubled since 1999, to more than 2 million as of 2010, representing nearly 4 percent of all K-12 students, according to Mr. Murphy’s book. More than 90 percent of the families are two-parent, one-salary homes, and the mother continues to be the most likely parent to stay home.
    While conservative religious parents, predominately Protestants, still comprise the majority of home-schoolers, there has been an increase in the number of moderate and liberal families choosing to teach at home, and concerns about the social environment of schools, including bullying and teaching practices, have now edged out religious values (31.2 percent to 29.8 percent) as the top reason parents teach their children at home, according to Mr. Murphy.

A 2005 study by Clive R. Belfield, an assistant economics professor at Queens College, City University of New York, found students identified as home-schooled by the studies performed significantly better on the SAT college-entrance test than did public school students, even after controlling for differences in family background and other characteristics.

The paper by Belfield is "Home-Schooling in the US" http://www.ncspe.org/publications_files/OP88.pdf . According to Table 3, homeschooled students scored about 40 points higher on the SAT verbal than their demographics would predict, and scored 1 point lower on the SAT math.

W
    W
    The hybrid type is alive and well in my area. We have a charter program that offers three different programs that combine home and school learning. My older son is in an independent study program that offers group classes and study hall as well as field trips. I think it is brilliant and mixes the best of both worlds.

S
    S
    We have a wealth of hybrid options here in san Diego county, too. We're trying a charter school where I'll homeschool 26% of instructional days, but we could do one or two days with other programs here, and if the charter doesn't match DD's needs well enough, we'll take over and just enjoy the community and one day of classes.

W
    W
    Really? They don't even have charter options? With the charter and Independent Study programs they have a teacher at school who goes over the lesson plan and makes sure the kid is progressing, but the majority of the schooling takes place at home. Even though I am the the one doing most of the teaching, technically his official teacher is a public school employee. Makes me glad I live where I do even if the rest of the school system is pretty much useless.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by master of none
    It's illegal in my state. If you homeschool, you are not eligible for any public school programs. And your primary educator must be your parent.

Here, the primary educator must be mom or dad, but that doesn't mean only. If I'm coordinating Junior's education, and teaching a couple of subjects, and essentially "hiring" the other teachers, I am the primary educator whether or not I specifically teach fractions or the perils of dangling participles. Our district allows for "dual enrollment", which we've taken advantage of for band, foreign languages, and some other things I can't reproduce easily on my own. At one point my son was treble-enrolled, between home, state virtual program, and the brick& mortal school down the street. It's kind of a surreal "If it's Tuesday this must be Spanish" manner of doing things, but it worked.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    Here, students who are actually homeschooled are mostly ineligible for academic programs affiliated with local public schools. Mostly.

Charter and virtual school students are completely ineligible, because they are considered to be 'public school students from other districts.'

There is no hybrid enrollment model. Either you homeschool or you don't, as far as the state is concerned, and they are not offering one DIME for the former, nor one bit of autonomy for the latter. It's quite rigid.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM