Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I personally would have an ad up at the local university for a generic part-time nanny position, and then when you speak to them personally explain that you'd like them to do some educational activities with your child during that time. See if they are open to that, then, once you've met with them, you can get further into where your son is at and what he needs. I think nearly any college student would have the knowledge necessary to work with your son, the important part is finding someone who loves children, has patience and wants to have fun and entertain your son. He might not always want to do "learning" with this person, and it would be good to have someone who's also okay taking him to the park or the zoo, or whatever.

~amy
    E
    E
    You probably won't get a high school kid who can come in weekday mornings, so a college student might be your best bet there. But I still second the high school suggestion, for perhaps an after school time once a week, or whatever works for you (having had small twins once, I'd suggest dinnertime, when ds is likely to get lost in the shuffle anyway). In many states, the HOPE/Bright Futures/Gold Seal/what-have-you scholarships require a volunteer component. Your high schooler might be able to work the tutoring out in such a way that it would be mutually advantageous, but with no actual money changing hands-- a mentor for your son, and hours accumulated for the high schooler.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs