Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 127 guests, and 43 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I have my pediatric dentist SIL providing us with a steady supply of fluoride components.

It seems odd to put it in the water, though, since you don't actually want it in your stomach.

P
    P
    How does your mom feel about the mercury and bpa in fillings? (Asked by a person with a mouth full of fillings due to no fluoride as a child). My older siblings had city water, only a a couple fillings and comparable or higher iqs).

Polly

J
    J
    Actually, that is not true. Oral fluoride can help strengthen the enamel of your teeth and help strengthen your teeth. Fluoride is actually incorporated into your teeth (and bones) when you are growing.
    It does alot more than just having a topical treatment. It doesn't do alot to take oral fluoride drops after puberty, after your enamel and teeth have fully formed.
    I have wondered if really high doses of fluoride in the fetus or young children could cause bone cancer since it is incorporated into bone along with calcium and phosphorus. I could not find a link suggesting that.
    It should be regarded as a drug since it is incorporated forever into your bone and teeth.

Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Actually, that is not true. Oral fluoride can help strengthen the enamel of your teeth and help strengthen your teeth. Fluoride is actually incorporated into your teeth (and bones) when you are growing.

Yes my dentist says the same, for growing children, this is the case. We do not have flouride in our water, and I didn't even realize until dd6 had a few cavities. He prescribed tabs for her since she is still has many baby teeth, however not for my son since most of his are out, at age 12. Flouride in toothpaste is good enough for him, he said, although for me I was switched to a slightly higher flouride toothpaste since I got a couple cavities since moving here, too.

Last edited by chris1234; 08/18/12 04:34 AM.
    D
    D
    I'm not comfortable with fluoride. I think I am cut from the same conspiracy theory cloth as your mother. wink
    My pet theory is that fluoride is causing all of these children to be born with red hair. Have you noticed how many redheads there are now?
    smile

ETA: For the record, my husband thinks that my theories are a hoot and I tend to agree with him...

Last edited by daytripper75; 08/18/12 12:20 PM.
    U
    U
    Never trust anything from those wackjobs at Natural News; they are really awful about distorting study results. The actual study referred to is interesting reading, though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM